Chapter Four: The Outside World ~2 James

~James~

    Suzanne was washing her feet on the river where we crashed through when she asked me impatiently, "Where is Matthew? He's very slow!"

    I ignored her. I was standing on land, waiting for Matthew to come out of the hole. Now, I don't want to remember everything we had gone through that hole, not just because the hole wall was slimy and smells of dead rats and their dung, I immediately remember John.

    He was still inside with Rich.

    It took me some time to realize Rich won't fit on the hole. The path we crept through before reaching the river we are sitting beside of was so long, dark, and it seemed endless.

    The sun was shining bright, but it was faint and weak. I doubt if it was because of clouds, because the sky was a crisp indigo and very clear. It's as if heavens were mourning for something.

    The others were washing themselves on the river. This was called the Blue River, but around the river were garbage and trash humans made. The president can know anything better, like he shouldn't have put outlet pipes of sewers leading out to once-clean rivers. Even though that's the case, the water stayed clear and blue amidst of floating dumped trash bags.

    The girls were hesitant to clean themselves. Their skirts were all dyed in blood now, and they were having thoughts on about being naked to clean themselves. Nobody believed me that the water can be fine for bath, but I know that if John was here, he can convince everyone.

    But he wasn't around.

    I hear a grumble on the hole I was watching for, and familiar glasses dropped on my feet. It landed on marshy earth, and then suddenly I remembered that the pipe holes work only when the waters inside the sewers were overflowing.

    Matthew wriggled out of the hole cursing dead rats that have stuck on his shoe, and I helped him stand up. With no hesitation, he sprinted towards the flowing river and dived off. The water was not that deep, and even the smallest of us can't drown. No offense meant.

    Andrea was lying on the ground with her back against an aspen tree and was clutching her wound. I wished I didn't make a wrong decision--the one I had on letting her live when my best friend wants her dead.

    With one last look on the dark walls, I sighed.

    John didn't return.

    I walk away from the hole and I went to where my classmates are gathered. We are seven in all, and I felt like I want to give up already.

    Matthew surfaced up and splashed water around us.

    "My glasses?" he asked me. I pointed at the foot of the hole. He looked terrified and said, "Okay, I'll get it later."

    Suzanne was done brushing her skirt, and it will be too rude to say it didn't make no difference.

    "I think we should wash our clothes while we still can," I said, forgetting the thought.

    Sophie looked beleaguered. "Bah! Hell no. I'll not take off my clothes while you boys are still around."

    I exchanged looks with Jimmy. Matthew, he, and I were the boys left here.

    I heaved a sigh. "Jimmy, please fish Matthew out of the water."

    When you hear girls happily splashing and swimming on the water, you might want to watch them. But when Jimmy had a red slap on his cheek from Suzanne, he was the one who suggested making a temporary base here in the unknown woods.