Chapter Three: The Hope Hole ~2 John

~John~

    I didn’t want to take issues of any kind; I showed no reaction for that scumbag Lance and Craft’s departure. Something about Lance really angered me, and I think he deserves to die in the hands of the zombies outside. Ten minutes since they left, we heard nothing peculiar, so it means they are still alive.

    We go to plan the plumbing system. Now all I want is to get out of this dying, stinking school. Whatever that was left on the outside world, I don’t care—for as long as our families are all fine, I will feel so alive.

    Jimmy suggested where the entrance of the plumbing system was, and that gave us enough to move. Actually, the place he suggested was the door next to the bathrooms, and the bathrooms are about a minute away from here.

    Of course, nothing we will do to survive is not risky. My classmates had figured out there’s no more use for negations, and they agreed at once.

    We check the time, and when I see it’s already two in the morning, I quickly asked everyone to assemble as I tell the next move.

    Everyone was listening except for Amber, who was soundly asleep. I keep my voice low and clear, but I can’t say I didn’t have any fear for this.

    “Guys…Now for the headcount,” I began, “the first group was complete twelve, and the second was a complete set of twelve too. The third and fourth… twenty in all...twelve were dead.”

    It didn’t come out well. The students went on chattering frantically again, and our headcount was thirty. Two of my classmates are dead. Two people left. Before the chatters die out, all I can ask myself is what happened to our other classmates. We were forty in all, but we are only ten here. And from that ten, fortunately, more than half was functional.

    Handling twenty-nine lives with you wasn’t as easy as answering a level ten trigonometry question mentally, you know.

    It was still dark outside, and I was hoping for Dawn to come. I don’t know, but I don’t feel comfortable without the sun and its light and warmth. Being in the school for almost twenty hours with no sleep probably can be the best thing to have for a punishment, but if our lives are at stake, then it’s not a punishment.

    A death sentence.

    The girls wake up Amber, and before she can ask for another set of explanations from us, we all carefully went down from the cafeteria’s second floor. Away from safety.

    My remaining classmates, James, Sophie, Rich, Matthew, Jimmy, Den, Andrea, Suzanne, and Jasmine were walking with the other students. I admit the others were just a burden to us, but I figured out there’s no way of leaving them.

    Joanna was awake, but then I doubt if it really was tranquilizer that has been shot into her. She was really quiet, and I didn’t hear a word from her. She walks slowly, and if it wasn’t for my classmate’s care for life, I will decide of leaving her.

    My heart was pounding so hard, and I dared not to open my flashlight. It was the only one we can use. We see a couple of zombies, and we were ready to attack them. Then it occurred to me—maybe noise and light will distract them. So it’s good we stayed dark.

    James was on my side, clutching the cleaver Sophie was carrying with her when their group had entered our hideout.

    Then when we are so near from the door Jimmy told us about, the thirty of us were all stopped at the sight of several zombies blocking the door. Fear flooded into me—their number can oust us so quick.