Chapter Ten: The Showdown ~5 Jules

~Jules~

I was sitting beside Jimmy and Gray, and the other boys were circled around the hut. Nonetheless I wasn’t with my mind right now, because I should’ve gotten headache minutes ago for endless laughing. I even forgot why we’re laughing.

And finally when Geno mentions how Jimmy’s travails few days after the educational trip sounds funny. Particularly how he almost fell off a hanging bridge, how he had almost fallen at the dizzying, spinning ride back at the park rides, and how he had almost been left by the shuttles. As hard as we can muster, laughter was breaking silence around us.

There had never been a day like this—a very normal day for a period where a teacher forgotten to take class on us and that we were outside by the huts, laughing and goofing around like someone might finally take it all away and shove us back to the room. End of the siesta. We’ll come giggling by the room. But so far, nothing happened.

“Remember when Jim had the Surf?” James said. He was trying hard to keep from laughing just to make his speech clear. “You remembered his face guys?”

All except me burst to chuckles. I sounded like I’ve been choking when I should’ve uttered a laugh, too.

John elbowed James. “Oh come on, don’t think I ever forgot that picture of yours!”

“Which is?”

James giggled. “I’ll just take it on the net.”

Now John and Jimmy looked humiliated. Suddenly Gray noticed me, and hushed everyone. “Hey, Jules is quiet today guys.”

All eyes bore on me. I felt unnerved, and silence took over.

“What?” I asked, not able to stand the awkwardness.

Gray turned to me. He smiled, and gave me a waking slap on my face.

Karen pulled me back to reality. She was clapping my cheeks, and suddenly I began to question if it was really Gray who slapped me. Yeah, it’s weird—I’ve gotten something. But here’s the thing—at least we’re now back to where we should be.

Dropping ourselves off the scavenged trailer truck, Sam and I smelled dusty, and so does Karen and Stel who looked like they’re about to drop any minute now. I couldn’t wish for more, but I just thought an RV would be too much.

I wasn’t really expecting a huge house for us to lie low for a while to rest, or tall gates to stand lines for us, but this was too much. We’ve just hit jackpot.

I immediately recognized Principal Gregory Guns and his wife, Amelia Guns. Everyone was quietly grinning at us, (I wanted to embrace my classmates so badly,) and they didn’t look any more surprised than the four of us newcomers were. It’s as if we’ve just missed a good bedtime story.

After getting hearty dinner courtesy of Mrs. Guns, Sam lets go of my hand and she tells me we’ll talk later. Karen and Stel asked if they can fly away to rest. Left alone, I chose to wrestle with Jimmy and the others.

Our class—the remaining ones—made a circle by the cold floor of the common room. Not wanting to bother Principal Guns, who was reading some kind of a map, the others approached me discreetly. John and James looked like they can’t resist anymore and they want to punch me again. Jimmy looked like he was ready to smug the undeniable smile on my face. And the others were waving at me apprehensively, their smiles reaching their ears.

It’s so good to be back with the others. Not wanting to ponder on anything to bring tears, we’re the ones left for each other. Each other is what we got now. Sam sat by my side again, and she rested her head on my shoulder. Some girls started to giggle by just seeing us.