Chapter Nine: The First Prince ~3 Jet

~Jet~

            I got knocked out.

            Adrian was shaking me, and if I had been conscious, I might’ve pushed him relentlessly. I was sure who it was—who’s who and what do I think they’re doing.

            “Buddy, wake up!” Adrian’s voice vibrated in my ears. “Prince! What are those?”

            Then Prince replied. “They’re throwing sleep-inducing gas inside!”

            “They’re here! Fight!” Stanley interjected.

            Just like that. I missed the fun—I can’t even see what happened. I don’t know how I got this strange ability, and I don’t know if I should be happy for getting something plain like this.

            I don’t think I should keep any secret from you now.

            When I was still a young kid playing on the streets, I have this amazing memory that I can remember almost every voice that I heard—even if it was just once. Ten years ago I can differentiate different voices and I can tell who owns them. It even includes the voices of children playing outside St. Joseph’s, the creaky voices of market women trying to get sales, and dreadful teachers I once had when I was in the third grade.

            I don’t know why I recalled this unimpressive thing, but I kind of feel I’ll need it sooner or later.

            Or later.

            I finally opened my eyes.

            I finally realized how much these people needed my help.

            Adrian was battling a zombie using his bare hands, and he was brought to the floor. Once, Stella yelled from the ceiling, and she and Grace were looking down to us, unable to do something more than to scream and cry.

            Miguel was swatting two zombies at once, and when I badly wanted to help him and try to stand up, a motionless zombie with its eye out was on the floor beside me.

            Prince was struggling with one Mutated zombie, and his neck was about to get sawed if Stanley hadn’t thrown another Mutated one he just tackled. Blood and gore was spreading on the small cell, and I got injuries I don’t remember getting.

            Stanley offered his hands for me to stand up, but he got pounced by the fifth zombie.

            “You climb up here now! More people are coming here!” Grace cried out loud, and it was obvious I forgot they can hear everything from the ceiling.

            “You—go ahead,” I managed to say. “Call for help, please.”

            Hesitant, the two girls disappeared from my sight.

            I stood up, and instantly realized whatever gas was inside here was quickly seeping its effects inside of me. I feel dizzy, and so do my other cronies.

            Adrian got enough strength to throw a zombie away from him, and luckily it crashed onto one of the ones being spanked by Miguel and his racket. The two zombies squealed, and they got quiet after a while, giving me the hint they got their bones broken.

            Three down, five more to go.

            I battle a Mutated one, and it’s not easy. His saw almost cut my arm if I hadn’t been quick, and he might’ve spit that abhorrent green liquid which I believe that is his saliva to my mouth. When adrenaline overcame my dizziness, I knocked his feet off the ground, and he crashed down to the floor. He loses grip on his saw, and I grabbed it before he can.

            And then for the first time of my life, I did something terrible.

            His head was gone, and I continued to kill more. I drive the razor-sharp saw to the zombie Miguel was struggling with, and it hit his back. Its lungs splattered everywhere, but I didn’t stop.

            I killed the last zombie by sawing him in half—literally I divided him into two by the waist, and it’s not nice seeing how his stomach and intestines look like. It was green like moss was growing inside, and it was churning heavily like it was digesting so rapidly.

            The last Mutated zombies were taken care of Stanley and Prince. I was just a little scared of Stanley’s sudden change of expression. It seems like killing zombies was one of his ambitions.

            The elevator where the enemies entered opened.

            “Shit,” said Stanley as we climb one by one quickly.

            Uncertainty grips us, and the path's too long and dark for me to see and make up something. If I were to die, there's probably the right time.

            We found the exit, and it wasn't exactly the exit by the time we landed on the hard floor when the ceiling we were stepping on broke.

            I landed head first to a guy, and it was Rolcene, and then I hear Noe and June and Perry yell in delight on seeing us.

            "You're saved!" Perry said happily.