Chapter Eleven: The Final Assault ~2 James

~James~

            Three days have quickly flown by.

            By that span of time, Mrs. Guns already had finally figured out what day is it today. Eleven days have passed since the plague broke, and today was Tuesday. I don’t know why those kinds of things still need to be taken care of, but I have seen the effort of everyone to contribute on remembering what happened to those dark days of our survival.

            I found myself missing that Friday morning when the world was still at proper pace.

            At lunch, Principal Guns finally told us what some of us wanted to hear—especially Jules. Now that things were better with him and Jimmy, there was no reason for him not to join the long dining table. Although it was a very good thought of people having proper relationships, I figured out Jules hadn’t been better the past three days.

            But unfortunately, he just talked about the transmitter. And for the record, the principal looked so gloomy just because his telephone got broke.

            And I don’t know how that news concerned Jules.

            Later that afternoon, I found myself with Jules again.

            We were on Sam’s eerie, claustrophobic room by the time everyone was having their afternoon naps. Little by little every day, I began to worry about things. First was my growing curiosity about the rumors surrounding my parents.

            Like what Jules is telling me, I was thinking of how the hell I will meet them again. I was wondering what would be my reaction once I see them again, after completely believing I was just one of those hundred babies wrapped in loincloth carried by storks and dropped off to the nearest orphanage to live alone as an abandoned kid.

            The next thing I was wondering about was the assault planned for us. For the past two days we’ve been told to be alert and ready every single hour in case ‘something’ happens. For the past three days we’ve been put to worry that while we are off guard, a bomb can be dropped on our roof. And now we find ourselves like a fool getting paranoia. After Sam’s shooting, nothing worse than weird sirens coming from the horizon happened to us.

            Then I can’t help it: Why don’t we just surrender and tell the huge terrorist guys that we can’t put up a fight against them? I hate to say this, but it’s just as if we’re just overestimating ourselves. If you were still sane, what can twenty-three students, two teachers, one stranger, and one old woman put up against the six most wanted people in the world? Sam’s unconsciousness already brewed enough issues for us, and what is a nuclear bomb set for us compared to it?

            But although I’ve been itching, I never told Jules anything of these. He’ll just suffer more anxiety, and I feared he’ll just blame himself.

            “A fight won’t just happen,” says Jules.

            “It seems like Principal Guns was hungrier for war than he looks,” I said in exasperation. “But they had thought of that already, Jules. They’re finally reconsidering about our transfer to somewhere else.”

            “They found us place to stay already?”

            “Well,” I said, trying my best not to mumble. “Of course they were thinking of that too, yet that was just still a thought.”

            Suddenly, Jules covered his face. “I don’t know what to do already. I don’t know what to say that will not hurt anyone. I don’t know why we are living this long just to die thinking about million things.”