Chapter Ten: The Showdown ~4 Jimmy

~Jimmy~

“Are you sure you saw Leo? What if it’s somebody else?” Camille asked me frantically.

I nod as I pat her back slowly. She didn’t do anything to shrug it off. She takes a drink from our hot-turned-cold coffee, and I stopped when she looked at me.

I wished there was plenty of light that can reach us, but it still puzzled me why she wanted less light while we talk. Talk wasn’t the exact word. It’s more of a confession.

I felt restless as my eyes grew heavy. Even with the influence of coffee, I wanted to resist my undying desire to sleep. I even forgot when the last time I have slept for good time was. Probably I’m having this elite opportunity now to sleep on a mansion with my friends, but I walked off the room after Jules had returned to bed.

Never does will he say he didn’t wake up minutes ago. And he shouldn’t say I didn’t see him and Sam together.

And I hope Leo was clueless who are we.

I finished my cold coffee, and when Camille sighed, breath vapor rose in the night air. God, the stars were so beautiful tonight. I wasn’t the guy you’ll usually see looking skyward, watching the moon and everything else the universe has, but I do enjoy this moment.

Especially with what I’m having now with Camille.

From all what we’ve been through, I’ve been keeping something that just came out now.

Camille was my ultimate crush since freshmen year. The first day of high school she wore a very light makeup that greatly emphasized simple beauty in her, and her brown hair was in lush curls. Yeah, I noticed that.

We weren’t seatmates by the first time we were given the opportunity to choose seats. I sat with John, and I already knew him by that time. James and Jules were kids I met later on. It’s so hard to adjust that time—about half of us were new to St. Joseph’s University (by the way, I don’t know why it was called University, when it only accommodates grade and high school,) and I figured out I need to make new friends as well.

The first time Camille talked to me was when she asked for my seat.

I can recall exactly what she said.

“Are you doing something?” she asked, wearing her beauty-queen smile.

I was speechless for three seconds. I stand up, and said shakily, “Uh, no. Why?”

Camille grinned. “You were sitting beside Anee,” she informed me. Yeah, Anee, her best friend, was the other pretty girl sitting next to me. I don’t know what happened why they got separated, Anee sitting on the half of the room next to the windows, and Camille on the other half part near the decorated wall.

For seconds I thought she was about to say something more, and just stopped because a jerk like me was conscious and captivated by her beauty. But no, she was waiting for me.

“Um, sure,” I finally said, realizing the awkwardness. “Um, wouldn’t it be a violation? Exchanging seats?”

Camille smiled again. As fast as a blur, she inched closer to my left ear, and whispered, “Just for one subject. And act normally.”

I swallowed. She pulls back, and I walked away, going to where John and his newly acquaintances James Stan and some new boys. I see Camille beckon Anee to sit with her, and that’s when the bell rings.

I survived the first day, but surprises weren’t done for me.

By the gates where the guard Roger stood, I was waiting for John. By that time, I already met some good kids—like Jules, Anee, Geno, Miguel, Adrian, Gray, and of course, Camille.

Someone put his arm around my shoulders. Given that I had sensitive reflexes, I almost jumped.

I turned, and saw it was a she.

“Hi, Camille.” Is all I was able to say. God, my knees were trembling.

I was sure she recognized me. She had Anee in her arm. The girl was smiling. They stopped by before me.

“Hi, Anee,” I added.

“Where are your friends?” Camille asked. I don’t know if it was just me or I saw her eyes sparkle with the afternoon light.

I felt like blushing. “I, uh—they,” I mumbled, “they’re still on the room.”

The two girls nodded.

Suddenly Camille offered her hand. “I guess I forgot to introduce myself to you a while ago?”

I just stared.

Anee chuckled for her. “Mhille, this guy’s funny.”

I swallowed hard again.

“I’m Camille,” Camille said, her hand still hanging.

I take it, and I was astonished on its warmth. I already know her, but I took everything like I didn’t know her yet, or that I didn’t have a sudden crush on her.

I shake hands with her. “I’m Jimmy.”

Remembering that memory brings me an awful nostalgia, but it’s so good to reminisce things, knowing that they can’t be taken away by some stupid viral virus or be erased from my memory.

Camille holds my hand. I’ve been wondering how long I had been reminiscing the first time we touched each other’s hand. That inexplicable warmth was still there, and I almost gasped.

“Do you like me?” I asked her. I guess there’s no use for being so conservative right now. If I was to die tomorrow, then I’ll be dying happy.

She didn’t answer my question, and just said, “And why are you asking, Mr. Jimmy?”

I grinned. “I don’t know. I’m not sure. I like you, and right now, I’m still wondering if your craziness or mood swings have something to do with it, because you’ve been really strange these days—“

I stopped when I noticed she was having a poker face at me. I probably said too much.

“Well, yeah. I said it. I like you,” I said like barbed wires grew inside my throat.

For the next seconds I feared on what she’ll do to me. Two events sprouted via my imagination: the first was she’ll release my hand, walk away, and say, “Nice meeting you, Jim” or she’ll just nudge me and say, “Nice joke there, Jim.”

But none of the two happened.

Instead, she closed her eyes, and kissed my cheek. It wasn’t long, and her lips were the softest thing that touched my cheeks. I felt numb.

“Take that as a yes,” she said.

I wanted to scream in happiness, yell about how this night had been so good to me, but something stopped me. Not that I was complaining she didn’t go forward to my lips or somewhere, and not because she’s so quick, it’s just that…I don’t know if that was a sincere yes.

Maybe she was afraid that she’ll die sooner or later, too.