Chapter Five: The Reunion of the Stars ~1 John

~John~

    "Where are we?" I asked myself. The last time I was at my full senses; I was sliding off with Rich--heading our way outside the sewers just to land on the opposite side of the Blue River. Just as when I got to my feet, Rich collapsed onto me, and both of us were pinned on the ground.

    That's what I remember.

    The next question I asked myself was: "Where are my other friends?"

    I lie on a soft bed, and before I can even think I was in my bedroom, I was welcomed with a tight hug when I curled up.

    I was on a warehouse--a very old one that I doubted that has been used for ten years already.

    People circled around the warehouse all gathered around me excitingly. I recall their faces.

    The one hugging me was an old friend, Jules. He was our class president on our junior year, and even though I was the class president now, he looked much buffer and tougher than me.

    His handsome face was still unscarred, and I felt a great flood of relief knowing that my other classmates are really alive.

    "Everyone! Come here! John is awake!" Jules announced.

    I heard some whispers of disbelief and relief.

    I realized that the warehouse was full of about a hundred students--assuring me that some of them aren't our classmates.

    Behind Jules was my classmate Leo. Dressing like a girl and acting like one, you can make out what I mean. He--she, what this person wants to be called--came to embrace me tight. He smelled very girlish.

    "Oh! John! You're alive!" Leo squeaked, "I thought all the other cute guys are gone!"

    I pat his back, and he lets go. "Thanks, Leo."

    He pouted his lips like he was about to give me a kiss with that glossy, strawberry lips; thanks for Gray, another classmate, that shoved Leo away.

    "Okay, Leo girl, stop it before you can even do that," Gray tells him. Then he fixed his gray eyes to me. "Welcome, brother."

    He wasn't really any of my relatives, but we were calling each other brothers, as we resemble each other a bit. James wouldn't mind.

    Wait. James!

    "Where are the others?" I asked in a frantic voice.

    Grace, another friend of mine, answered, "We don't know, John. Jules and Gray and others found only you."

    "How is it p-possible?" I anxiously said, "I-I-I landed by the Blue River, and t-they must have landed there too!"

    Jules sat by my bed, tapping my back reassuringly. He spoke in a low voice that I doubt the others guarding around the warehouse with old, rusty ceilings can hear.

    "We tried to find them, but the river's as far as we can go," Jules said.

    "What? What do you mean?"

    Two girls stepped forward, and they were holding my backpack. And Rich's.

    The one holding mine was Stella. I recognized her braid. "Here's your backpack, John," she told me as she hands me my bag. The last time I remembered, this bag was covered of dirt and grime. Now it was bit clean.

    And the one holding Rich's tattered backpack was Camille. Her brown eyes searched for my eyes, but I didn't want to look her in the eye.

    "T-The boys tried, but Rich died," Camille said in a sick voice, like she had been gargling nails.