Chapter Ten: The Showdown ~3 Jet

~Jet~

Before I can toss the dice for my epic turn to win on the snakes and ladders, James and Jules busted inside the house, almost disarranging the front doors at their entries. In panic, Bridge elbowed the whole board, our colored pegs flew out of their places.

"Oh my God, Bridge! You killed us all!" Stella cried.

Looking at the pieces, Bridge said, "I'm sorry. Can we please pause? Something happened."

Then I finally noticed that Jules was carrying the new girl, Sam, in his arms. She had a pale face, and I almost gasped when I saw her left thigh bleeding.

"Sam!" Stel suddenly shot. She wakes Karen up, and after shaking her up, Karen's eyes bulged. Then the two girls rushed over to the dining table.

Mrs. Guns, who was appalled as well, started to remove the papers and folders she, the principal, and Mr. Riggins had set on the table.

"What happened?" Principal Guns trilled. His voice was frantic and surprised.

Jules had sudden tears on the corners of his eyes. "She was shot!"

"By whom?" the Principal asked, his voice rising. "Have you kids played with my guns?!"

"No, sir," James replied quickly. "We were just sitting on the garden, and then we saw her having a shot—"

"Amelia! Get your first-aid, and get this girl up!" Principal Guns ordered. "Girls! Get some sheets!"

Mrs. Guns answered apprehensively, "Karen, dear, get some hot water for me, and put it in a basin. Stel, get the aid box on the third top cabinet on my room."

Karen and Stel nodded, and went away quickly. I smell panic.

Then Mr. Riggins whispered to Principal Guns. The old man frowned.

"Yes, I start to doubt our safety," he said weakly. "Miguel! You close the front doors! Get Mr. Adrian with you and close the sound-proof sheets!"

The two boys heeded.

"What happened?" I asked James. His face was beady with sweat. "Who did it?"

James shrugged.

"Oh, tell me that's not our enemies," Bridge said, his face filling up with paranoia.

"Enemies?" I murmured.

Bridge looked anxious. As Mrs. Guns received her first-aid kit, her hands were swift, shifting from one tool to another. Recognizing our distracting presence, she said:

"Gregory, tell the kids to move upstairs. My hands are shaking."

We all went to the room where the boys used the other night. All of us were around the room, all clueless about what's happening.

Jules, James, Bridge, and the other people with roles weren't here, and I finally had a sense of how hard it is to get yourself away when something as shocking as this happens. I finally had the simplest, eerie sense that we're not safe anymore.

"What happened? To Sam?" Lovely asked us, after noticing the deafening silence that followed anxious chatters.

"That old man's got to be serious about our safety here," Geno said. He was standing by the wall, and he kept on pounding on it.

Jimmy stood up, and walked in circles nervously. My heart was skipping beats, and for a millisecond I haven't thought that whoever wanted us dead couldn't have ended their pursuit after we've reached this safe house. Darn. These events make me ultimately wish that I didn't survive the school's plague. Meeting the star section students. Having to live everyday.