Chapter Seven: The Plan Reprise ~4 John

~John~           

         Two SWAT men stood by the gates where Roger usually stood in regular days, and each of them carrying a gun that can kill us instantly. And as a recap, we got thirteen dead people eliminated on our way here.

            We’re still thirty-five, and the thought of leaving other students in the warehouse wakes my conscience wide enough.

            “Students?” The one on the left asked.

            I nod abruptly. “Come on, my friend’s wounded!”

            I know our recent experience in the school wasn’t nice, but seeing the school at its quietest state chills my spine. We find the home economics room, and inside, we found supplies, not people.

            “Whoa, you mean this is all for us?” Adrian asked, holding encapsulated food nervously in his grimy hands.

            “Something’s wrong here,” Jules said, looking at the things carefully.

            I find nothing wrong, and I even found three first-aid kits complete with supplies. I treat James’ wound, and when he opened his eyes, I got cheeky.

            “Yes! He’s not dead!” I said, pouring antibiotic on James’ bleeding arm. He was shaking weakly, so I pour as gently as I can. When he opened his eyes a bit, I hear him talk.

            “Where are we?” he asked weakly.

            “School,” I reply. “Home ec room.”

            He smiles. “I’m alive. Gaaaaay.”

            I nudged him. “You alright?”

            He nods.

            “Rest, my friend. For a while.”

            When I said something was wrong here, that food was sealed tight in clear plastics, guns and ammo’s are strewn everywhere, no one actually believed me.

            Noe and June were excited to cook, as they were able to scan all on the home ec utensils. The girls were fixing beds—actually this small space got two bedrooms with two beds each, one dining area, two cooking centers, one bathroom, and a living room filled with weaponry.

            When everyone was eating, the girls are wondering why I wasn’t eating anything.

            “I just don’t feel right,” I say. Then I drift off to sleep, knocking several guns to the floor in the process.

            I bolt with a start, and I hear muffled cries.

            My eyes snapped open. The guns around were gone, and I hear them firing endlessly outside.

            James was soundly asleep, and I found it’s just the two of us here. I got to my feet, and see for myself what hell means.

            About a thousand zombies were rushing past the school gates. My classmates were lined up on the perimeter of the home ec room, all of them carrying weapons. I felt like my heart pumped so hard I can’t breathe.

            “Jules!” I cried. “What happened?”

            He got his katana on its scabbard, and he was using a sniper he found inside the room. I squint to see the distance—infected people running in Olympics to reach us and rip our brains off.