Chapter Three: The Hope Hole ~1 John

~John~

    Everyone was disarrayed by the screams that only lasted for barely two seconds. Long and loud enough to let us hear.

    "No," I mutter under my breath as we stood and closed the windows. "The death call."

    Many uttered words of discomforts and anxieties, but as chatters about the decided death call faded, I called another meeting with my classmates. They were thinking about the same thing--the fourth group was all dead. As we look through the window, it was confirmed--streaks of light pour down the grounds below, and a group of undead was forming within the area laden with feeble, shaking bodies. No matter how we try to ignore the loud groans made by the hungry zombies, it tears through our head--the sound probably we will hear last before we die in their hands.

    Just a few cry babies were crying in fear, but the death call made a blazing fire inside the students hungry for revenge. Hungry avenging for their dead relatives and friends. It's no use of keeping the plumbing secret now, but I just told my remaining classmates about it.

    They were all stunned until they came into agreeing.

    The Joseph's University was a wide and large school, able to administer thousands of students, giving all the necessities of living while the students are there to study. Like any other school, it has a wide, underground plumbing system considered to be environment friendly. Instead of leaking, the waste products coming from the school goes to the underground twenty-meter radius pipe accompanied by countless small pipes. This system connects to the greenery of the school and to some street pipes, usually leading to water treatment facilities of Faber City. In this good, economic process, it ensures a decrease in environment pollution, but will give a remarkable increase, eventually, in nature growth.

    This short analysis of the underground pipes chills me. It was true, and I hate this--I remembered about this when it was too late. This explains the escape of some zombies to the streets and the sudden drop of their numbers here inside the school. Now it doesn't matter how they opened the underground gates, unless...

    A crazy idea.

    If not the gates surrounded by the waiting undead, the underground plumbing system is the way out of this earthly hell.

    "No, that's absurd, John," says Jimmy upon hearing another hope of escape.

    "I'll rather take the gates, and fight through the dead morons," says Rich, clutching one of Principal's shotguns tight in his hands.

    Den gives her disapproval too. "It may be a method, but no one would want to explore that smelly cave-like place."

    I nod at every comment, but I never let go of my plan. Not until my own best friend, James, opposes my plan.

    "Look, John," he began. "It may be a way, but I'm sure there's another good one. And who ensures that the largest pipe is empty right now?"

    I can't hold myself.

    "Me," I tell them. "Apart from me, who knows that the school flushes the dirty water to the outer pipes by six? Who cannot derive from that fact--the path is empty by now?"

    No one from my classmates responds. Maybe they weren't used to hear John Eddington talk like this. Or show off how smart he is. Maybe I wasn't, too.

    Andrea, the long-haired girl, was braiding her long hair when she said, "Maybe John's right. No one must've used the toilets after the outbreak, right? And about the flushing thing? It's now eight."