Chapter Eleven: The Final Assault ~1 Jimmy

~Jimmy~

I can't feel my legs.

But since we're all about to die, I can't complain. The others do, but as we walk and rush inside the endless passage, no one was talking. Just crying and holding on to flashlights.

The passage was like a huge tunnel dug by a giant gopher; it led us down, and earth grumbled from up ahead. I assumed we weren't any distant from the Guns' residence, and the whole event was still fresh.

So fresh that I feel like crying.

Camille was walking with me, and she just kept her face buried on my shoulder. In front of us were John, James, Mr. Riggins, and Principal Guns. The two grown-ups had flashlights to light up the dark tunnel.

I can't help but ask them where the hell this tunnel will lead. The principal said it'll take us to the nearest city, and since we'll be about kilometers away from his house, we can hide by the buildings in the city.

And it clearly means one thing: We'll be so freaking tired when we reach the nearest city.

Who wants to complain, anyway?

One moment, I see Jet rushing towards Mr. Riggins and Principal Guns; he was pulling Mrs. Guns with him, and it seems like they've come a long way. They were both chasing their breaths.

Mrs. Guns embraces her husband tight. Even though it was susceptible that she was about to cry, it still brought me an unspeakable pain as I watch her sob. We stopped for a moment.

Once we were all gathered to a stop, I look over my classmates. It wouldn't be realistic to hope we're still complete-considering the assault almost crushed my femurs. There was this portion of the wall back there that fell on me. If it wasn't for Camille who pulled me out of the debris, I wouldn't be alive here and whining.

There was something about everyone's faces that had an impact on me. Something far beyond sorrow, fear, and hopelessness was blooming in their eyes. But for a second, I noticed Jet. He, above everyone, looked like his heart was crushed the most.

When I certainly can't resist looking at him, he spoke. Flashlights beamed on his face.

"Ella, Geno, and Miguel died," Jet said in a shaking voice. "Ella...a wall fell on her."

At the same moment, Patricia buried her face over Stanley's arm. The dude was completely surprised as she broke into tears. That gave me a hint that Patricia had been with her before that happened. But on the other hand, they were been close together lately. Kat released Gray's hand, and she went to comfort her friend.

Jet didn't cry yet. I just noticed that his eyes were getting watery as his voice was getting hoarse. I've never seen him like this before. Ever. We weren't really close, but I wasn't insensitive enough not to feel what he was feeling.

It was like something was pulling both of your lungs down and you can't breathe.

"Geno and Miguel were burned to death at the garden," Jet adds. He was fighting his tears hard, and before one can fall, he wiped his eyes with his sleeve.

Unexpectedly, John went to pat Jet's back. He was whispering things to Jet, and it seems to get him a little bit better. Speaking of being better, the Guns and Mr. Riggins' faces were dropping.

The earth shakes, yet no one was unnerved to notice.

That's what happened. Four of us died that quick. Yet still, no matter how the situation seems to be credible, I can't believe they were just...gone. For a moment we've thought everything was fine-that we're living a safe, peaceful life.