Chapter Ten: The Showdown ~1 Jules

~Jules~

I miss my katana.

It wasn’t a good thing bringing it at school unless I want to get kicked out, but still, I’m not sure if I really missed holding it, or using it. Nonetheless, these bland weapons they gave me—a gun, in particular, my lunatic teacher had provided me for ‘protection’—felt like they weren’t for my hands.

And I have this girl I’ve been missing for so long.

I don’t know why had I hoped I can find her with John, but now my agony got worse. She wasn’t with John. Mr. Riggins and Principal Guns hadn’t seen her either and I kind of get this pressing feeling she’s gone.

Of course I wouldn’t hope.

“Rolcene, get the alarms now!” Mr. Riggins demanded. He fixed his sling bag with three shotguns, and was rummaging around for some things he thinks he can bring. My heart skipped beats, and right after Rolcene pressed a button, alarm pounded outside, and the door drowned it a bit.

Everyone fixed themselves, and they were ready to go—I’m not. I wanted to stay here, controlling the panels, and at least, grab that small ray of hope she was here. I know it’s somewhat impossible, but I was hoping. Hoping.

“Ready?” John asked, and he tapped my back. He was eager to go, and as soon as Jet opened the heavy door, hell broke.

It wasn’t like I wasn’t used to it yet, but every time is a new moment. Everything’s new. Not everything happens exactly the way it had occurred the last time. The walking dead saw us, and before some of them turned a blind eye, their head was hacked away from their bodies.

Everyone marched out of the room like the whole place was on fire, but Mr. Riggins ordered, “Press that abomination button!” No one was holding the panels anymore, because Rolcene was doing one last check on his small pack, and Perry was nowhere. James, Mr. Riggins and I were the last ones to leave.

“Jules, press that black button there,” Mr. Riggins said. “Long enough until it beeps. Then it’s ten minutes before this whole place will explode.”

I didn’t want to nod or even do it, but they left me alone in the panel. I closed the door when there are suddenly a dozen of zombies that were swarming around the door. I don’t think Riggins or James noticed my absence, but I’m not that stupid to die here without bringing up a good fight.

Then my fingers felt the miniature, countless buttons on the huge dark panel, and on the far upper side of the panel, was a black button covered in a glass cube. I had the urge to break the glass, and using my bare fists, I followed my urge. It broke, but my palm was bleeding. Sharp pain bore into my hand as blood trickled down to my elbow as I examine it.

I was near to press that trite button up there, when my eyes suddenly fixed on one of the small screens. There are probably hundreds of cameras—maybe thousands—and I don’t have the idea how two or three people can can actually keep their watch.

It’s black and white and offered no convenience. But one face—one sad, miserable face—loomed near the camera. I know it’s black and white, but it was obvious that her skin was perfectly light brown; I know the camera must be playing tricks at me, but I can almost smell her long, fragrant hair.

Sam.

My eyes darted around her screen, and she wasn’t alone. She was with two other girls that stayed away from the camera. But her face—her beautiful, unscathed face—was placed between two cold iron bars.

She was locked in a cell.

Anger and desperation flared inside of me, and as soon as I saw the floor and unit number, I stormed outside relentlessly fast as a viper.