Chapter Seven: The Plan Reprise ~2 James

~James~           

           About fourteen go with me and John—and that includes the girls, who were all panicking. The whirring of the helicopters were closing in, and one by one, starting with John, we climb down the stairs.

            “Faster!” Jules urged, frantically stomping his feet on the roof.

            I was midway down when my best friend landed on the ground. I was expecting this, and as he lands, zombies shrieked in delight.

            He fired bullet by bullet, and then the fifteen of us got the stairs. Even though I didn’t like it, but John made himself a distraction to the zombies.

            He turned to me, and mouthed, “Go.”

            We charged away. One zombie got to our front, and Kat kicked her upside the head. Gray tapped her back, and we ran endlessly until we got past the entrance of the warehouse. About a few more meters, the woods are on my view. John hasn’t returned yet.

            We breathe heavily as we flattened ourselves on the trees. They were thick enough to conceal us, but I tell Anee to check if there are something following us from here.

            “Negative,” says Anee confidently with a thumbs-up.

            I wait for ten…fifteen..twenty…thirty seconds. But John hadn’t returned yet.

            I tried real hard to resist my urge to look over my cover to see where the hell John was, but I can’t help myself. I looked over my shoulder.

            John was running as fast as he can, with zombies pursuing him. What’s more—two helicopters are flying above him, search lights beaming the road.

            I hear continuous gunshots, and John still ran, indicating he didn’t get a shot. It was then when I realized that the zombies following him were dropping double dead one by one.

            He’s about five meters near, and he made a tiger jump to avoid streak of bullets. He crashed to me, and we stumbled down. I hear cheers from the girls, but I raise my hand when I saw that the rooftop was already empty.

            Then there the others were—fighting their way amidst of multiple zombies. They were surely outnumbered, and from that distance, I didn’t even see Jimmy or the guys that were so brave to stay inside our base.

            Our bloodbath base.

            The helicopters whirred above our heads, making leaves rustle above. We evacuated deeper to the woods, two flashlights held by Stella and Camille offering us light. The woods gave me creeps colder than ever, and like what happened to us in the sewers, I can practically see if there are some things moving in the dark.

            I see Jules’s katana gleam in the moonlight, but barely do I see it. One after another, he slash and hack every undead near him. By just watching him, I felt so nervous and sweating as if I was the one in his place. The next fifteen seconds, I find myself wanting to get my ass off the dirt and fight stupid zombies.

            “Let’s help them!” I elbowed John, who was so alarmed. “Please. I can’t sit around here, watching them die one by one.”

            Patricia and Jamie’s faces loomed out of nowhere, and Camille had her beam on their frantic faces.

            “John, it’s scary here,” Patricia mumbled.