Chapter Ten: The Showdown ~4 Jules

~Jules~

            Sam sat with me on the front seats.

            Karen and Stel were supposed to rest, eat up something they can find here, but they were up rounding inside the trailer truck for some useful things to bring.

            Well, I might as well say we own a part of our lives now to whoever owned the truck. Thank God they found some untouched food on the cabinets, (even though it wasn’t that much,) a first-aid kit, some guns and scarce ammo, blood-soaked mattress and pillows, and a few knives to begin with. And I was so skeptical about the fuel, even though I just saw the truck was full tank.

            After throwing off some garbage, rotting corpses from the cabinets, dirty sheets, I saw Stel curling to sleep and Karen wiping some of her shurikens and kunais.

            After going for a steady steer, my right hand crept to Sam’s cold hand. It was soft in spite of being cold, and she gave me a sighing look. I’ve been dreaming for days she’s still alive, and now I’ve come to the moment where I’m with her, alone.

            She grasped my hand tight like this will be the last time she’ll ever do it.

            “Thanks for rescuing us,” said Sam, her lips forming a smile.

            I noticed a small wound on her upper lip. It still had fresh blood, and I wanted to check it out, but something stopped me.

            I sneered. “I would’ve had pressed the destroy button if it wasn’t for the spy cameras,” I said, trying to crack some air on my words.

            Karen suddenly chuckled from behind. “So if you haven’t seen us, you’ll destroy and incinerate the whole base?”

            “Well, I would have,” I said back. “But what’s more important is that you girls are all alive.”

            Karen smiled from the back mirror, and she turned down to wipe some guns they found.

            Sam looked at me in the eye. In times like this, when the world had turned into inescapable chaos, we do something we think we are incapable of. I do not worry anymore about bumping someone, dead or alive on the road, as long as Sam is with me.

            Call me selfish and whatever you want.

            I’m left behind, but this is what its worth. Three lives saved.

            “You sure you followed what Leo said?” Sam asked me.

            I saw a zombie up ahead, but it was too late for me to shift, and I was too captivated by Sam’s timeless beauty. Oh, maybe I was too overreacting. The heavy tires surely crushed his head, and I can only hope I was the only one who heard the squishing sound of brain juice getting pumped.

            I nodded. I looked at her face again, and kept my hand on the steering wheel steady. She was looking right into my eyes, and she was inching closer.

            And closer.

            “HEY JULES WATCHAAAAAAA!”

            Karen almost pushed me off my seat, as she ran and got to the steering wheel. We hurled to the left, as the truck was off the road and was about to crash onto a huge, thick avocado tree (I was sure it was avocado tree,) but nearly missed. Sam crashed to my arms, and I heard a loud thump on the back part of the truck followed by a conscious groan.

            When everything’s okay, Karen gave me a sigh. “Ugh, just drive, okay? You can do smooching later. And the sun’s about to set in six hours.”