Chapter Eleven: The Final Assault ~2 John

~John~

            Miguel and I were playing badminton at such early day, and I was giving him a hard time. I spike hard, drive the shuttlecock farther than he can handle, or distract him to miss a shot. Even though I was a bit of a bad guy, I enjoy looking at him getting tired.

            But then, I wasn’t pressing him like this unless I know a practice can help him win this match today. The last day of intramural games was extreme, and hardy games and rounds are held today.

            “Come on, Miguel!” I blurt out. “You have to be better than that! Frank can’t give you an opening like I do!”

            Wiping sweat from his face, he responded, “I’m trying hard!”

            A couple of more routines and we’re tired already. Setting under a tree’s shade, I realized I’ve pushed him too hard. Now he’s got about three hours before badminton finals will do.

            Few more minutes pass, and Jimmy suddenly appeared.

            “Hey faggots,” he said. He even took a cookie from Miguel. “Why are you both sweaty?”

            “I’ve practiced with him,” I said. “Today’s his final match. At least he’ll get us a point for our section if he wins.”

            “John,” Miguel murmured in exasperation. Clearly he wasn’t in the energy to argue with me anymore. After refilling himself with water, he looked like he was ready to fall down to sleep.

            “Oh no, no.” I stopped him before he can even lay his back on the tree’s bark.

            Jimmy kept on laughing as he got himself another cookie. I would tell him off, but I was far too enjoying the moment.

            Lunch bell rang, and it was the time when the students were all wilder than ever. I don’t see the reason, but at St. Joseph’s University, kids were always odd. Like for example, whenever a state-wide exam was given and the school has been chosen to hold the examinees, our students are always the different ones; other schools can’t control the behavior of their students, and they kept on running around the campus while the kids here are painstakingly quiet as they watch other kids.

            And another good example of them being weird enough is the fact that today’s teenagers are changing. First years should be matured enough, and unlike when we’re still freshmen, the students would get irritatingly noisy and cheeky.

            But even though the male’s comfort room stinks like hell in the afternoon and the classes were always dragging us to boredom, there were little things left for us to remember.

            As a senior who is about to leave the school, I can’t help but recall how happy high school had been.

            As for example, these tedious, overrated annual intramural games will be one of the things that make every year memorable. Of course not all students participate in the sporty games—and that’s what makes this noteworthy. Students who ran out of games or were too sluggish to sign up for any competition stays inside their air-conditioned rooms for the whole day, doing absolutely nothing and no teacher would come to bother them.

            And that’s one of the reasons the intramural games is in jurisdiction now—if it will be recreated next year, with regarding these things. A John Eddington will absolutely love a whole week of playing games, sleeping all periods, and the comfort of the absence of teachers.