32: Getting the Job Done

• Getting the Job Done •

Y/n's POV

I was tasked with carrying the stakes for the tent, driving them into the ground, and fixing them in place.

Yes, it was decided that Class D will live separately. Therefore, we had to move the tents far from one another.

Jihyo came around and helped by stretching the rope out and giving me a hand driving in the stakes. "I'm sorry. I've put you in a tough spot again."

"You don't have to apologize, Jihyo," I replied. "If anything, I'd feel bad to leave it all to you."

"Oh, it's not all bad. I do it freely." She smiled sincerely.

I averted my eyes from her and arranged the tent. "This question might come off as weird, but why do you work so hard?"

"Work so hard? I don't intend to work all that hard. I just do what needs to be done.* Jihyo said that in a way that wasn't boastful.

She was dripping with sweat and wiped herself off with the towel she had hanging around her neck. *I think this special test isn't actually some kind of battle, but more an important opportunity for us all to become closer. That's why I want to cherish this moment. I'm glad to work hard for that."

I wondered how it was possible for an ordinary person to be so overflowing with good intentions without actually being two-faced.

Wanting to be liked by others, wanting to be showered with attention—most people would think like that, but I didn't get that impression from Jihyo at all. I felt that she just wanted to be good.

"Jihyo! Come here for a minute!" Sana and the other girls called Jihyo's name.

In an instant, they'd surrounded her and began tugging on her arms.

"I still have work left to do, though," Jihyo said.

"Isn't it okay to just leave that to Y/n?" They said, yanking her forcefully.

Seeing Jihyo's troubled face, I turned to her and said, "It's alright, Jihyo. I can do this."

"No, it's hard for one person to do all the work."

"There's only a little left," I looked behind me and saw our progress.

"Alright," Jihyo sighed. "I'll be back."

She probably wouldn't be back right away.

I then took the hammer in hand and hoped I'd get another chance to plumb Jihyo's many mysteries.

Suddenly, a small figure appeared beside me.

"Is it okay if I'll help?" Chaeyoung asked shyly.

"Of course. Here.* I handed her the hammer Jihyo used earlier.

Chaeyoung took it without looking at me and began hammering the skates.

I noticed that she wanted to say something to me so I tried to take away her awkwardness by talking to her.

*You're really good at outdoor stuff, huh?" I said.

She stopped hammering. "Uhm...I guess so."

I then held her shoulder. "You know you can talk to me anytime, right? I'm here for you."

At last, Chaeyoung met my eyes.

And in an instant, she engulfed me in a hug. I lost balance so we fell with her on top of me.