25: Searching the Forest

• Searching the Forest •

Y/n's POV

Class D walked from the beach toward a gigantic forest.

Tzuyu, who was isolated from the other girls, calmly followed the group from the back. She would occasionally act as though she were going to stop, but then immediately started walking again.

I slowed down a little bit until I was walking side by side with her. "Not in a good mood?"

She sighed. "To be honest, I'm depressed. These kinds of things just don't suit me. And worst of all, being alone can't be my option right now.*

I hummed and nodded as I listened to her.

*You know, what you said to me before might end up being true. This test will likely fall outside of my academic abilities. I'd determined that Chaeyoung and Jeongyeon would be hindrances, but they took the initiative to go out searching. They probably would've been able to find something useful."

"Maybe. More importantly, are you... Okay?" I hesitated.

"What do you mean?* She glared.

I decided to keep my mouth shut and averted my gaze.

While talking with Tzuyu, I felt someone watching my back.

Looking over my shoulder, I saw Mina, who was walking way in the back. When she noticed that I'd turned around, she got flustered and looked away.

*What's the matter?* Tzuyu asked.

I shook my head and turned back around.

*I wonder what the other classes will do. If Classes A and B intend to obtain as many points as possible, then we'll need to prepare as well. We can't let the difference between us widen." Tzuyu wore a serious expression on her face.

"Aiming for the top is tough," I said.

"I thought that what Ms. Irene said back then was a joke, but are you really not at all interested in moving up?" Tzuyu looked at me, trying to read my expression.

I shrugged. "It's not particularly weird or anything, is it? If we got an increase in our allowance each month, that'd make me happy. If I'm lucky, maybe we can even reach Class A."

"People who come to this school do so to make use of the privileges it offers." Rather than dissatisfied, Tzuyu appeared puzzled. "Why did you choose this school?"

"Well, can't I just say the same thing? To shamelessly make use of the privileges the school offered me."

"I see.* This time she sounded blatantly dissatisfied and regarded me with a sharp side-eye.

I deduced that Tzuyu had enrolled here to be at the same school as her older brother. She wasn't aiming for Class A for her own sake, but rather, sought her older brother's approval.

She sighed and looked at me. *I'll tell you this: Ms. Irene leaked the information-but don't misunderstand. Besides, we're still not friends. Don't forget that."

"Don't worry. I'm not really thinking about friendship, anyway."

Shortly after, Jihyo and the others stopped. "If we stop here, there's foliage blocking the sunlight and it doesn't seem like we'll have to worry about anyone hearing us.*

We placed down the equipments given to us and sat on the ground to rest.

*Now let's talk about the concerns of our class. First of all, we need to resolve the toilet question," Jihyo said as she raised her forefinger. "I've thought it over and I believe we should install one toilet first because it might be a necessary expense.*