15: Her Trouble, Our Problem

• Her Trouble, Our Problem •

Y/n's POV

Mornings in Class D were always lively because most of the students were far from studious.

But today they were being even more raucous than usual.

The reason was obvious. We were about to finally get points for the first time since we'd come to this school.

My school, the "Seoul Metropolitan Advanced Reflective Teaching High School," has adopted an unprecedented system known as the S-Point System.

When I first heard about this system, I thought it'd be important to accumulate as many class points as possible because private points would only grant us personal satisfaction.

However, my perspective changed when I'd been able to purchase a point for Jeongyeon on the midterm exam to save her from expulsion.

When I realized that the school would allow me to purchase exam points, I understood that Ms. Irene wasn't kidding when she told us, "At this school, you can buy anything with your points."

Therefore, holding onto private points meant that it was possible to favorably change your situation.

"Good morning, everyone." Ms. Irene strode into the classroom as the homeroom bell rang. "You all seem more restless than usual today."

"Ms. Irene. Do we have zero points again this month?" The class leader, Jihyo, spoke as soon as she saw our teacher. "When I checked this morning, I didn't see a single point deposited into my account."

"We worked ourselves half to death this past month!" Chaeyoung stood. "All of us passed the midterm exam and no one's been late, absent, talked, or used their phones during class, either!"

"You're correct, Chaeyoung. You have all worked harder than ever before. Naturally, the school understands full well how you all feel."

After being admonished by the teacher, Chaeyoung shut her mouth and sat back down.

Ms. Irene placed a paper on the board that listed the point values, starting with Class A at the top.

Excluding Class D, all of the other classes had nearly 100 more points than last month.

Class A now sat at 1004 points, slightly above where everyone had started when we were admitted.

"This isn't good. Could they have figured out a way to increase their point total?" My neighbor, Tzuyu, appeared solely focused on the other classes.

However, most of the other Class D students didn't care much about the other classes' points.

The important question for them was whether we had received more class points.

Written next to Class D was our point total: 87 points.

"87? Does that mean we actually went up? Yahoo!" Chaeyoung excitedly jumped up and down the instant she saw our score.

"It's too early to celebrate," Ms. Irene remarked. "All the other classes saw a similar increase in their points. We didn't close the distance at all. This might just be a reward first-year students receive for getting through the midterm. Every class seems to have gotten at least 100 points."

"So that's what happened. I thought it odd that we'd been awarded points so quickly." Tzuyu, who hoped to reach Class A, didn't appear pleased with the result.

"Are you disappointed because the gap between the classes has widened, Tzuyu?" I asked.

She shook her head. "No, that's not it. We managed to get something this time, after all."