7: Beginning of the Worst

• Beginning of the Worst •

Y/n's POV

On May 1, the morning bell rang for our very first day of class this month.

Soon afterward, Ms. Irene strode into the room, holding a rolled-up poster. "Before we get started, does anyone have any questions? If so, now is the time to speak." Her expression today was even more stern than usual.

Immediately, several students raised their hands.

"Points are given on the first day of every month, aren't they? I checked my point balance this morning, but I didn't see any changes," said Chaeyoung.

"I've confirmed that points were wired this month without any issues. Any other questions?"

Chaeyoung furrowed her eyebrows and looked down. "But nothing was deposited into my account, though."

I'd checked my point balance this morning as well, but it had remained unchanged from the day before.

"Are you kids really that dumb?*

Students' gasps were heard all over the room. They were clearly shocked by Ms. Irene's response, and I was getting an ominous vibe from her.

*Points were deposited. There is absolutely no chance that we forgot about anyone in this class. To think so is ludicrous."

Supposing that what Ms. Irene said was true and that points had been wired to us, then that meant...

"HAHAHA!" Seokjin's loud windshield laugh echoed throughout the classroom. "So, it's like that then, Ms. Irene? I think I've solved the mystery. We're in class D, so we didn't receive a single point."

"Huh? But they said that we'd get 100,000 points every month," Chaeyoung replied, full of confusion.

"I don't remember hearing that though. Do you Ms. Irene?" Seokjin propped his feet up on his desk 

"While Seokjin certainly has an attitude problem, he is exactly right." Ms. Irene then returned her gaze to the whole class. "For crying out loud, barely anyone seems to have noticed the hint I gave you. How deplorable."

"Ma'am." Jihyo raised her hand. "I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean. Can you please explain why we didn't receive any points for this month?"

Jihyo appeared to ask on behalf of her classmates rather than out of selfish concern. Just as I'd expect of the de facto class leader. Even now, she took the initiative.

"A total of 98 absences and late arrivals. 391 incidences of talking or using a cell phone in class. That's quite a few infractions over one month.*

*This school measures its students' true abilities. Your class's behaviors are reflected in the points that you receive.*

The doubts I'd had since coming to this school were finally confirmed, though, in the worst way possible.

I then heard a pencil moving against the paper beside me.

Tzuyu seemed to be tallying the number of absences, tardy arrivals, and instances of talking in class down in her notebook, perhaps trying to make sense of the situation.

*Let me explain further. But first, please check your cellphones and go to 'Balance Inquiry.'"

I took out my school-provided cell phone, launched the pre-installed school app, and logged in using my student ID and password. I then selected the option "Balance Inquiry" from the menu.