Chapter Twenty-Three

I woke up a little while later, and I could hear Em and Zak downstairs in the living room playing so I went into the bathroom and as soon as I saw myself in the mirror I winced away because it looked so bad. I had a black and blue slightly swollen eye, black and blue bruises covering so many different spots all over my body, there is also a handprint size bruise around both of my wrists and my lip is slightly bloody and is now split open. After taking a shower I took some ibuprofen for the pain and then grabbing my make-up and using my cover-up to try and cover some of the bruises and concealer to color correct the touchy spots. I then put on a long sleeve shirt to cover my wrists.

After I was done covering everything up so that Em wouldn't suspect anything I walked down into the kitchen to start making dinner like nothing even happened and as soon as I was done making Em's favorite meal Zak brought her into the kitchen to sit at the kitchen nook.

When he set her down in her seat he looked at me and said, ' I'm going out, I don't know when I'll be hoe so don't wait up for me." He kissed Em on the head, grabbed his jacket and keys, and then walked out of the door without saying another word.

When Em was done eating her food I gave her a bath like normal and soon she was in bed because it was herbed time and I don't need nor want a cranky toddler on my hands in the morning. When bedtime rolled around she always wanted me to tell her a story but instead of asking me for a story tonight she asked me a question, a question that I knew she was going to ask me at some point in her life I just wish that it wasn't now, I wish it would have been when she was a little bit older, but I'm not going to lie to her.

"Daddy?" She called me as I was looking at the bookshelf trying to find the right book to read to her tonight. "Yes, dear," I asked still looking for a book. "How did you and papa falling love?" She asked shocking the hell out of me.