• 35 • Mothers' looks

His heart skipped a beat. Blinking a few times to see if he wasn't dreaming. And unfortunately, it was only a hallucination. Yet the edge of his lips perked up again when he saw who it really was, "Onee-san."

"What are you doing out here, Touya?" She giggled lightly.

"O-Oh, I was just studying." 'She can be really protective when I use my fire.'

"Hm?" She stops in front of him and looked around, "I can smell something burning."

"M-Must be from the neighbours..." He lies.

"Oh, okay!" She sat down beside him and scooted closer.

"Is everything okay?" He asked.

"Why?"

"I don't know... You rarely speak to dad for the past few months ever since the... argument." He muttered.

"Yeah but it's nothing to worry about. Let's see what are you studying about?!" She snatched his notebook from the ground.

He squeaked and tries to grab it back, "H-Hey! Give it back nee-san!!!"

When he reached out they fell on the ground, with the leaves underneath them rising before landing on the grass again. She giggled while locking his head in her arms so she can read the notes without him pestering for some reason.

"Ahhh, you're studying Korean?"

"I-I--" He starts to fluster.

"It's nothing to be ashamed of, Touya! So, what did you learn for now?" She hums teasingly while removing her arm around his neck.

He scratched the back of his head, "U-Uhm... I practice everyday sentences. Like, a-annyeonghaseyo..."

"What does that mean?"

"Hello..."

"Ooo~ What else?"

He fiddles with his fingers, "S-Saranghae..."

"What does that mean?"

"I-I-I love you..."

"How about this? Try reading this." She points at one sentence in the book.

"Nae dongsaeng-eun neomu meosjyeo."

"Sugeee~! That's great! You sound so fluent!" She laughs heartily.

His eyes sparkle, "Really?"

"Yeah! Hey, I know a few Hebrew words too!"

"Woah that's cool! Now it's your turn to give some examples." He huffs his cheeks.

"Okay... Touya, you are dabi."

"D-Dabi?"

"Even though Dabi in Japanese means 'cremate'-" She smiles cheekily, "-In Hebrew, it means 'dearly loved'."

His heart pounds against his chest as he smiles warmly. Her smiles reminded him of their mother. Just the thought of that, made him look down.

"H-Hey, what's wrong? Why do you look so sad?" She tilts her head down while setting a hand on his shoulder.

"Nothing... It's just... Whenever I look at you, I see... mom. It's weird, I know. But... You two are just so alike..."

Her eyes widen and she flashes a playful grin, "My eyes are just like hers right? The nannies used to say that-- oh... sorry... Uh, I shouldn't have--"

"It's okay, nee-san. We have the same thoughts too. They were like our very own sisters who taught us important things. I believe one of them... Ella was the one who connected our family the most. I just don't get it... Why? Why would they leave us?"