Chapter 9

"Nam PD-nim?"

"Yes."

"Um, okay."

Minjun patted my shoulder before I followed Producer Ji into the elevator. She pressed the highest floor's button and we began heading up. I kept my eyes on the panel until it finally reached the number 13. I quietly walked behind the elderly woman and soon we were in OceanGold's CEO's office.

"Hello, Yumi. Sorry, this was unexpected and very hasteful, but I would like to inform you of something."

I looked at all the producers and managers in the office, I was confused. What's happening?

"Yumi-ssi, this rarely has happened. After Gemini debuted, there hasn't been a case like your's in the past decade."

Gemini, I thought. They were the top girl group until they, as a group, decided to break the contract. They wanted to go back to their normal lives, but like he had said, that was a decade ago.

He continued, "Yumi, we'd like you to be a trainee under OceanGold Entertainment. What do you say?"

I was shocked, had they really accepted me? I had my audition last week, and my interview today, did they really want me?

"Yumi? What do you think?"

I pursed my lips together. "Nam PD-nim, what reasons- Um... Just like you said, this was a bit hasteful, but what do people see in me?"

"Pardon me?"

I smiled, "For the past five years, agencies and entertainments casted me. I have casting cards from all over our country, and this is the first that I actually accepted to try. For what reasons do agency CEOs want me for?"

"Would you like what OceanGold thinks of you, or what we think others think of you?"

I thought for a moment, "Of what OceanGold thinks, please."

"When our producers, managers, choreographers, and vocal trainers first saw you at your first audition, they reported to me that you had the talents of Gemini. At first, I couldn't believe it, it had been over a decade since we've had auditioners like you, with pure talent. After seeing your recordings, I thought maybe she really has potential." He paused for a second, "Today, earlier at your interview, I saw something that I didn't see within the Gemini. You seemed to have a more detailed reason for why you chose to come here. I won't ask that, not yet, but when things get easier between you and the company, we hope you stay with us."

So they didn't choose me just because of my singing and dancing, I thought. I felt... I don't know, relieved, maybe?

"I'll gladly accept to be a trainee under OceanGold Entertainment."

Manager Lee stepped forward, "Yumi, could you come back tomorrow? So we can situate everything?"

I nodded. "Thank you," and I left.

✩☽☆☾✩

I slowly made my way back home, stopping by Ahjumma Park's store.

"Ahjumma!"

I peeked into the building, but found her nowhere. Where did she go leaving the store open?

"Yumi-ah!"

I turned around to see her. "Oh, Ahjumma!"

"Why'd you come?"

I handed her a box, "It's from my mom. It's the scrubbers that she knitted."

"Oh! Your mom's so sweet. Tell her I'll find a good place to use them." Just as I was about to leave, she called for me. "Ah, Yumi! Aren't you supposed to be in school?"