Chapter 11

I woke up the next morning, and the first thing I did was to check my eyes. They aren't as swollen, thank goodness, I thought.

I opened my door to see my sister sleeping against the door frame. I almost shrieked in surprise, but I managed to calm myself down. I carefully stepped over her and entered my bathroom.

After washing up, I quietly walked downstairs. I saw my mother cooking breakfast and my dad watching tv. "Good morning!" I said, feeling cheerful, pretending that I hadn't cried last night.

"Yumi-ah, come help me set the table."

"Eo? Okay." I opened the utensil drawer, and picked out 4 spoons and 4 pairs of chopsticks. I set them on the table, at the corresponding seats.

"Go wake your sister up," my mom said. "She should learn to wake up earlier," she nagged.

I nodded, and instead of going up to her room, I walked to my room. "Unnie," I said, trying to shake her awake. "Unnie, get up. Let's eat breakfast."

"Huh?" She slowly opened her eyes and yawned. "It's already morning?"

"Unnie what were you doing here?"

"Nothing." She got up and walked downstairs.

Before heading downstairs, I went back into my room to check the big envelope I received the other day. I opened it to reveal a couple pages. There was a simple contract, two pages of a final application, a thin packet about OceanGold Entertainment. I'll read it after breakfast, I thought.

I hurried downstairs, not wanting my mom yelling through the house.

I sat down next to my sister and my dad across from me just as my mom brought a big bowl of stew. She had made kimchi stew for the morning menu.

"I hope it's good," she said as she sat down.

We said a small prayer and began to eat.

It was a silent dining table, all concentrating on eating. Before long I excused myself from the table once I finished eating.

I brushed my teeth, fixed my hair, and got into some jeans and a shirt. I sat at my desk and opened up the thin paper package again.

And I began reading and filling out the rest of the papers.