Chapter 15

"One, two, three, tap, five, six, seven and swing," Miss Han counted as she demonstrated the moves. "Okay, now try. I'm going to watch."

The group of seven female trainees began to dance as Miss Han counted the beats. I watched as Miss Han's eyes wandered from one person to another.

"Minju, when you swing it should be seven and swing. Not seven-swing."

Minju nodded.

"Do it again," the teacher instructed. She began to count the beats again and as a class we danced. "No, Minju. It should be seven and swing," she scolded again. "Remember there's a small rest in between the seventh beat and swing." Miss Han sighed, "Try it again by yourself."

Minju repeated the moves along with Miss Han's counting.

"Minju. How many times do I need to tell you that you're doing it wrong?"

"I'm sorry."

"You're the oldest trainee here, and one of the trainees who've been here the longest. Don't you want to debut? Focus."

I awkwardly watched as Minju got scolded. As much as I disliked her, I felt pity upon her then.

"I don't want to hold the class back because of Minju. We'll keep on going, and Yumi?"

I awoke from my trance, "Yes?"

"Please help Minju later."

I nodded, "Yes."

"Alright, great. Then the next eight beats... One, two, rock, four, swing, tap, twirl, eight."

✩☽☆☾✩

"It should be 'I gave you⬂ the⬀ world' okay? It goes up and then down." Ms. Joorie commented on our singing.

Group B, my group, stood in a line with the lyrics in our hands. I nodded.

"Let's try that again?"

We nodded and we sang the chorus of ⟪Four Seasons⟫ by Taeyeon, again.

"There we go! Sounds so much better," she clapped. "I would ask for some harmonizing, but Hani won't ask for that. So we'll keep it simple this time."

"Um, Ms. Joorie?" Lena spoke up.

The rest of the groupmates looked over to her.

"What's wrong sweetheart?"

"This song kind of strains my voice... Like it's a half step too high. What should I do?"

Ms. Joorie bit her lip, "Are you able to sing it?"

"I can sing it, it's just you can see the strain and it's kind of tiring."

"Would you like to work with me during your personal practice time?"

Lena looked upon us, mentally asking if it was alright.

I nodded and she accepted.

✩☽☆☾✩

That's how it was every single day. Either singing practice and lessons or dancing lessons and practice. Twice a week we'd get language classes and every last day of the Month would be our monthly evaluation.

We were all practicing in the big room. At least the 12 girl trainees of the day.

Some were singing in one corner and others were dancing in another. Hyeji, Joori and I were stretching out our muscles.

"How are you guys?" Manager Hani walked into the room.

We all gathered in the middle, standing side by side.