Chapter 58

Impatiently and anxiously I sat at the table, biting my nails, awaiting a call from Manager Hani.

My phone rested on the top of the table. It glowed on, only to show a notification from the system about updating the software. I didn't care. My eyes checked the time, still two minutes until it'd be 12:00 AM on January 3.

I looked up at the clock that hung on the wall in front of me, watching the second-hand quickly approach the top. It seemed to take forever to become the new hour.

Exactly at the moment the minute hand struck the 12 at the top, my phone buzzed with an incoming call from Manager Hani.

I sped to click accept and put the phone on speaker.

"So?" I asked her.

"Okay, ready?"

I nodded even though she couldn't see me.

"Greece, 3rd. Thailand, 2nd. New Zealand, 2nd. Israel, 4th. Malaysia, 1st. Taiwan, 5th. Hong Kong, 5th. Japan, 2nd. Brazil, 6th. Turkey, 4th. Mexico, 5th. Germany, 3rd. Canada, 2nd. France, 6th. And Australia 2nd."

My hand was over my mouth, long before she even finished talking. Absolutely in shock and joy, I stayed silent. I couldn't make up any words.

"And lastly," she added. "United States, 1st."

My mouth spread into a smile under my hand and tears welled up in my eyes.

"Yumi-ah," Manager Hani's voice sounded so calm. "Congratulations on your successful debut."

I bit my lip from making any unintentional cries. After taking a deep breath, I mustered up a small, "Thank you."

Even though I couldn't see her face, I could hear the smile in her. "Yujun would be very proud- And I know for a fact that Nam PD-nim is astonished with your iTunes Chart scores." Then her voice turned stern, "But don't slack off. This is just the beginning, you have a Music Bank Live tomorrow. So I advise you to hurry up and rest."

She ended the call and I dug through my contacts to call my mother. And just as I was about to click her number, I stopped myself. I wasn't sure what I was going to say. I sighed with relief, that I hadn't called just yet. I put away my phone and decided to wait to call her right before it was time to air my song on the first episode of Music Bank this year.

✩☽☆☾✩

"I'm sorry I couldn't spend time with you guys this new year," I told my mother over the phone. "I was busy with debut stuff and I finally debuted two days ago." I paused, waiting to hear her answer. I nodded, unconsciously. "I'll do my best tonight to make you guys proud." I heard my unnie shouting and cheering in the back. "Tell unnie that I miss her a lot too." I paused again, "Okay. Bye, love you."

"Choi Yumi-ssi?" one of the assistant directors called for me.

"Yes?" I looked up, putting my phone away.

"Your interview will be in five minutes. Please standby with our Music Bank MCs."

I nodded in comprehension and thanks for the heads up. As I made my way to the interview station, I passed by Minjun, who smiled and gave me a small wink.

I smiled and intentionally brushed my fingers against him as I walked right past.

It was a dangerous move, who knew who was watching. But I felt reassurance... that I wasn't alone in this world.

Maybe Yujun sent Minjun again into my life, so that he'd know that I would be safe.