Chapter 19

"At the end of this year, on the last day of December, we'll have a special evaluation. Along with your monthly evaluation it will determine if you are eligible and accepted for the girl-group survival show, Crystal-Cove." The 24 female trainees in the room applauded. "So please work hard, for this may be your ticket to debut."

Once Manger Hani finished presenting the news, Group A and B remained in that practice room while the other 12 trainees (Group C and D) left for their practice room.

We bowed to Manager Hani as she left.

"I can't believe we might be part of a survival show!" I heard Yuna exclaim.

"I know right? We have to work hard and make it in!" I think it was Lena.

I moved to the back of the room where my bag and sweatshirt lay, and I sat down. I watched as the 12 trainees in the room happily practiced from the thought that they could make it. Through the mirror I saw Joori giving me a concerned look. To assure her, I smiled back through the mirror and she nodded.

I pulled out my water bottle, which was filtered with cucumbers. I took a sip, hoping it would help me regain some energy. I made myself believe that it worked, and I stood up and walked over to my group and we began practicing.

✩☽☆☾✩

"Yumi, it's time for your evaluation, part two."

I stood up and began to follow Miss Han. As I walked out of the practice room, I saw Hyeji and Joori give me a small thumbs-up. I mouthed, thank you.

Miss Han led me to a room that reminded me of the audition room I was in about 9 months ago. The room had no door, only a doorway, and the walls were brown. On one side sat Nam PD-nim, Manager Hani, Producer Ji, Ms. Joorie and Teacher Akira. Miss Han situated herself beside the language teacher.

"Hello Yumi. How are you?" Nam PD-nim asked.

"I'm alright."

He nodded, "So from evaluation part one, your group got the highest remarks, correct?"

"Yes."

"You were given good remarks about your teamwork, harmonizing, and controlling the spotlight when needed to." He looked up from the papers, "Just think today like an audition that'll decide for the survival show." He smiled, "Are you ready?"

I nodded.

Manager Hani gave me a signal to pick up the mic that sat on the desk behind me. I turned around, reached for it, and walked into the middle of the room. I licked my semi-dry lips as I patiently waited for the audio to play.

"누군가의 한숨

그 무거운 숨을 

내가 어떻게 

헤아릴 수가 있을까요

당신의 한숨

그 깊일 이해할 순 없겠지만

괜찮아요

내가 안아줄게요"

...

As the last broken chord's sounds played in the room, I let out a sigh. I fluttered my eyes open to see the adults with a straight face, but it wasn't the bad one. It was the straight face filled with relatable sadness.

"Thank you," I said into the mic, before putting it back down onto the table.

I awkwardly stood there as I waited for someone to give me feedback or directions.

"Uh..." Producer Ji looked to her left and then back at me. "Very nice, Yumi. Manager Hani will take your height and weight... and then we'll follow with your japanese language test."

I sucked in my breath at her last phrase, not feeling ready for it.

Manager Hani got up from her seat and motioned me to the weight and height measurer. After finishing she walked over back to the desk of adults and said, "Height of 165 cm and a weight of 48 kg."

Phew, I thought. At least my weight is nothing to worry about.

"Here is your test," Teacher Akira gave it to me before I walked back to the chair and desk. "You'll have 30 minutes to finish it, and it's just the basic things you'll need in K-Pop." She smiled, giving me a You can do it encouragement.

I stared down at the paper, not wanting to even look through the questions given.

"Please... start... now."

I grabbed the pen with my right hand and began reading through the first page.

✩☽☆☾✩

"Three minutes," Teacher Akira warned.

I ran my hand through my hair, stressed. I had got through most of the packet, not that I was confident that they were correct. I squeezed my left hand, which was resting on my lap. I felt my hard nails dig into the skin.

I picked up the pen with my right hand again, and I randomly chose the answers for the last four questions. "I... I'm done..."

I saw Teacher Akira and Manager Hani exchange worried looks.

I closed my eyes, sighed and massaged my forehead with my right hand.

It didn't take long for Teacher Akira to grade it, and she wasn't that happy with it. She passed the graded test to Nam PD-nim who looked over it.

"Um... Yumi?"

I opened my eyes.

"Perhaps there's a reason why your language skills won't change?"

I stared at the ground and slowly, I shook my head.

"Yah! Yumi! Stop lying!"

I looked up, it was Minjun. Why the heck is he here?

"Minjun, what is the meaning of this?" Manager Hani asked, standing up and furrowing her eyes. "You know that you shouldn't be in here! It's Yumi's evaluation and you have no reason to be here."

"Okay, maybe you're right, but I'm not gonna let her just lie about herself and let it defeat her," Minjun semi-yelled.

"MJ, stop." I told him, my head resting in my right hand, with my right elbow on the table. "Just... Don't-"

Nam PD-nim raised a hand, asking for silence. "Please calm down. Both Minjun and Hani."

Manager Hani huffed and sat back down.

"Now, Minjun. What do you mean by Yumi is lying?"

I felt his stare on me, but I didn't think to look back.

"Of course there's a reason why Yumi can't succeed in Japanese. Especially with the way you're teaching her."

All the adults gave each other confused glances.

Minjun continued, "Learning Korean was difficult for her as a child. Learning English took a long time with precise experiments of learning too."

"What is your point, Minjun?"

"Yumi... she's dyslexic."

There was a long minute of silence, before Nam PD-nim broke it with an awkward cough.

"Yumi, how come you never mentioned being dyslexic?" Nam PD-nim questioned.

I stood up, "I..." I turned to Minjun, who gave me a serious expression. "I just..." I felt something drip from my hand. I looked down to my left hand, which was dripping bright red blood. It was dripping onto the table.

The adults began to notice and so did Minjun.

I froze there. This was a habit as a child, but this never had happened. No matter how hard I dug in, it was just a scar and some blood coiling in the cut. I had never seen blood flow so...

elegantly.