Chapter 61

Minjun rested his forehead on mine, both of us slightly breathing heavily.

"I'm going to take it as you're willing to start again." He wasn't asking a question, he was stating a statement.

My eyes stayed closed as I shook my head. "Minjun..."

"Just why? Give me a good reason, Yumi." Before I could say that it was the impudence of choosing to take him back, he added, "And don't say it's because you feel awful or that you shouldn't have the audacity to do so or whatever you said earlier. That's not a good reason at all."

I tried to come up with something.

"What's stopping you this time?" He lifted his forehead off, "Open your eyes and look at me."

I thought for a moment if I should listen. I ended up obeying.

"What's stopping you?"

I thought hard, lost that I didn't actually know. After several tickings from the clock on the wall, I sighed with an answer, "...My pride, I guess."

"Your... pride?" He looked a bit hurt, "Your pride is worth more than me?"

"Yes, I mean no... It's- It's complicated. The point is, it's me that's stopping me. I broke up with you, I selfishly broke up with you. Why? Because I wanted to become better, stabilize my mind and my mental so that I could reach farther up for my brother. I was selfish... and you want me to date you again? How will I ever face you without regret and pity and guilt."

"Don't think of it like we broke up then. We loved each other and we still do... Think about it like it was a break, not a relationship that completely ended."

"What 'break' lasts over two years!" I spat back with more anger in my voice than I meant to.

Taken a bit aback, he stayed silent.

I sighed, a little sorry. "I just... feel awful whenever I see you Minjun. I gave you great pain, I don't deserve your love or anything."

"But I'm willing to give it to you, repay me with more love for that guilt then."

I looked down.

"Yumi, if-" he sighed. "If it's not you, I'm going to remain single forever."

"How would you know that-"

"Because... Lyricist Bada tried setting me up with a few people, but I ended up leaving just as they entered the building."

I looked up at him, "Now that's just rude."

"I know, that's why she lowkey hates me. She's the one who told me that you were in your workshop today because every other time I came, you either weren't here or you had a client."

"How many times have you come here before?"

"That's nothing important." He closed his eyes before opening them in plead, "Please think about it again, Yumi. I really can't live without you."

"Do you really..." I hung my head low, unable to bring it out of my mouth.

He cupped my face with his soft hands, "Please, Yumi?" He moved to peck my forehead, but he felt my need for time. He simply gave me a hug. "Please... think about it."

✩☽☆☾✩

I stood at my balcony, looking out into the dark night. It was dark, but wasn't scary or frightening thanks to the lights of the city that helped brighten it up.

"Remember when we used to look out the dark night through the rink's windows?"

I turned to my right, seeing Minjun. I unsteadily nodded, surprised to see him there, "Wishing we could stop practicing..."

"I hated spending any moment away from you."

I chuckled and looked out into the night, "It's ironic how we hated each other when we first started skating together."

"I hate having to stay away from you when you're so visibly in front of me."

My smile slowly fell.

"I wish you could give 'us' another chance. You were worried about me getting sick because of you, but it's gone now, we can return back to how it was before."

I continued to look forward, "Do you really want me back?"

"Always, I would never want to lose you again. Whether it's physically or emotionally."

I breathed in the cool air of the night. "Maybe..." I began to look to my right, "Maybe I will-"

But Minjun was no longer there.

I looked around, turning my whole body around.

No one other than me was on the balcony.

Minjun wasn't here.

He had never been.

It was all in my head.

Just like the worry and unneeded anxiousness I had when meeting him.

Maybe I did want him, all this time. It was just my head, denying everything.