Chapter 46

I sat across Nam PD, Producer Ji, Manager Hani, and Manager Lee.

We all sat at a long widespread, wooden table in the brightly lit room. The side across from the door was large windows, leading to a view from a few stories high.

It was my first time seeing OceanGold Entertainment staff since the funeral and it was theirs too. It was the first time meeting anyone, other than family, after posting on instagram and reaching out to the agency.

"So..." Producer Ji started. She looked down at her papers and then turned to her right and left, not exactly sure what to do.

The atmosphere had been awkward and slight tension drifted in the air.

"First off," I drew the attention. "I would like to apologize for ignoring and blocking out all contact. And I hope everyone would still be open to taking me in."

"Well, of course, Yumi." Manager Lee tucked her hair behind her ears. "You are gifted and it'd be a waste to let go... Actually, we were all hoping you wouldn't."

Nam PD-nim nodded. "More than anything, we are happy to see you in better conditions, Yumi."

I smiled. "Thank you."

"Now about your contract," Producer Ji started. She looked up, "We want to make some adjustments."

I nodded, "Of course. What are we thinking of?"

All the staff secretly shared eye contact, a bit confused by Yumi's discrete boldness and ambition that was found in her voice and posture. Had this been the Yumi Choi they once knew?

"We might as well throw away the old contact we originally signed for Jewelries," Manger Hani stated. She pulled out a new sheet and set it before me. "It'll be similar to your old one... seven year contract, providing housing and other necessities, about payments and debts and all that..." She pointed to a few sections with her ballpoint pen. "It's just revised since you won't be continuing this career as a group now... rather a solo artist."

I looked through the three-paged contract, carefully reading, although I trusted OceanGold with my life. I nodded and looked up, "This looks good."

"And we can add any revisions as time goes by," Nam PD-nim handed me a pen. "All we need is your signature and... well we don't need your parents' after all, you are now an adult, am I correct?"

"That is correct."

"Things may change, but we were thinking of setting your debut date sometime after FLICKER's next comeback. How does that sound?"

I smiled at the mention of FLICKER. The newest boy group signed under OceanGold entertainment after the survival show; At the Speed of Light. They debuted late last year. Minjun had debuted then... and with them.

I nodded, "Sounds all perfect to me."

"Well that's about it..." Producer Ji turned to her co-workers, checking if she had forgotten anything. Then she turned to me, "Any questions?"

I thought about it for a moment. "I was wondering..."

Everyone turned their eyes to me.

"We had everything set for Jewelries's debut. Would it be possible to still release the debut? With its music video, album, and merchandise?" I paused thinking about the possible pros and cons. "I don't think there's much of a financial drawback of doing so... After all, we had everything set and well, this could be like a limited thing or something." I bit my lip, unsure of the staff's reaction.

They were quiet.

"We will think about it," Nam PD concluded the silence.

✩☽☆☾✩

Producer Ji, Manager Hani, and Manager Lee sat in Nam PD's office, waiting for him to enter and make decisions.

"Is she the Choi Yumi under our agency?" Manager Lee asked.

Slowly, Manager Hani nodded.

"She's not how I remember her... And I expected her to have drawn farther away after what happened, but she's... she's become..."

"Different," everyone else simultaneously concluded.

"I've never seen her so ambitious," Manager Hani remarked. "Or at least about this and like that. She's always been subtly ambitious, more about her peers rather than her career..."

Nam PD, who had heard parts of the conversation on his way, walked into his office and said, "I'm not certain what happened during those two years, but whatever happened, I'm happy to say that I think Yumi is in good condition." He paused for a moment before adding, "Or at least I hope she is." He passed a clipboard to Producer Ji, "We'll have to figure out songs and what not for her debut, which was can presume to be some time after FLICKER's comeback-"

"Will that be enough time for her?"

He sat down in his chair and rested his hands in his lap. "We can push it back if she needs more time, but I think she and we will make it before then."

"I mean, we do have other backup and pre-made songs in our studio... But do they fit Yumi and the image she wants to go for?"

Nam PD smiled. "Well, we have to go over the image she'd like to present with her debut and all that, but I doubt she spent the two years doing nothing. Actually, I'd guess that she coped by writing lyrics."