Chapter 37

Eloise POV

"Lady Eloise, a word if you please?"

Thor pulled her aside as Fandral went inside the tavern.

"I have discovered who the witness is."

"And?"

"Odin never even spoke to them. He is a servant, Fandral was the one who vouched that their words bore the truth."

Eloise cursed under her breath and began pacing in the small alley.

"What do we do?"

She turned back to Thor.

"Just leave it to me, and play along. I will have the truth from him tonight one way or another."

She nodded and followed Thor into the darkened tavern, plastering a fake smile on her face.

Despite the ruckus the Warriors Three were making, Eloise noticed she wasn't the only not celebrating, as she took a few sips of the ale placed in front of her and pushed it away, Thor slowly drained his but did not reach for another.

"Worried?" She casually asked.

He simply nodded, meeting her eyes he glanced repeatedly at Fandral and she nodded back.

Despite being tired she stayed, watching patron after patron disappear back to their homes while Fandral and Volstagg appeared to be playing a drinking game.

"I win!"

Volstagg declared as Fandral groaned, when an idea occurred to her.

"I have a game midgardian game, we could play." She offered flashing a smile at Thor.

"Very well, what is the game? Explain the rules!" Fandral sloppily replied.

"Its called truth or dare, each of us takes a turn and we have to pick either truth or dare, if we don't complete the task or tell the truth you have to drink you entire drink in one go. I'll go first to show you how it's done."

Thor quickly jumped in, guessing at her motives, "Truth or dare?"

Shrewdly, she looked Thor over, "Truth."

He grinned triumphantly, "Have you kissed my brother?"

Flushing a deep red, she answered,  not missing the angry glare Fandral sent at Thor, "Yes. Volstagg you're up."

"A dare of course!"

Hogun spoke up for first time since they had arrived, "Go ask for a kiss from that barmaid that's been eyeing you all night."

Getting to his feet unsteadily, Volstagg  staggered over to the barmaid, "May I perchance steal a kiss my lady?"

She flashed him a sweet smile before giving him a kiss, "I'll be off in an a few minutes."

Eloise gave a wolf whistle as Volstagg turned back to them blushing redder than his beard, while Thor and Hogun cheered.

"Fandral?"

He startled, and sat back up looking bleary-eyed at Thor, "Truth."

She watched Thor, an uncharacteristically hard look crossed his face, "Did you lie to the Allfather, saying you had seen Loki leave Asgard willingly?"

Crossing her arms, she turned to stare at Fandral.

His face flushed, from the alcohol or from embarrassment she didn't know and frankly she didn't care, as he droopily looked at Thor, his eyes pleading for forgiveness.