Chapter 39

Charge of the Highlanders
Bear McCreary

Eloise POV

She had slept restlessly only to be rudely awakened by Sif jumping on her, far too early.

She insisted on helping her get ready, at Thor's behest, for what she had no idea and was too drowsy too care much. 

Sif shoved an ungodly amount of food in front of her which she picked at and sat a roll aside for later, shoving it in her cloak pocket after she had dressed.

Sif even picked out her clothes, forgoing her usual dresses, insisting she wear pants, boots, a tunic and a cloak.

"You'll be running thru the woods, you don't want to be like one of those mindless court girls who is trying to get caught."

Sif was rapidly braiding her hair before pulling her up and rushing her out the door, down at the stables she could barely tell the sky was beginning to lighten as there was a mad rush of everyone getting on horses, she took a look around at everyone, all the women especially seemed to be dressed in their finest dresses.

Suddenly her brain started working and she realized what Sif had been preparing her for.

Veiðr.

"My lady, it looks as if you need a ride."

Volstagg called to her from on top a stout brown and white horse.

"I guess I do. You participating?"

"No I am just going to make sure no one gets hurt, plus I've got a wager with Hogun I want to see thru."

She had a feeling she was the subject of his bet so she chose not to ask who was backing her.

A stable hand helped her up behind Volstagg, "Might I suggest riding lessons if you intend to stay."

"But why when that means I'd get to hang on to you Volstagg?"

Volstagg roared with laughter as they took off at a brisk pace out of the main town around the palace.

She looked around at all the people headed out and realized she didn't see the familiar figure in black and green among them, but she did see Fandral ahead of her and Volstagg.

"Loki will probably just transport himself." Volstagg commented, noticing her glancing around.

"Ah."

The rest of the trip she listened as Volstagg told her of many of his exploits, which seemed to be a lot of pulling Thor and Loki out of trouble.

When they reached the forest, she could see Odin and Frigga up ahead and she blushed remembering the rest of their conversation the other day.

"That is unless you wish to return to Midgard."

She considered her words before she spoke.

"That actually depends on you."

Odin tilted his head, she took that as a good sign.

"You seem to expect me to keep Loki in check, when in reality if Loki decided to do something awful again, there is very little I could do to stop him. It is really a credit to him that he hasn't chosen to go off and do something terrible considering that that is what he is told all around. Every time something has happened to me here the first thing everyone does here is seek to blame him. And if it doesn't stop, I am warning you, you will turn him into exactly that. Villains and monsters aren't born, they are made."