Chapter 67

Eloise POV

"Odin sent me to seek out Idunn."

Eloise eyed the beautiful young woman before her who apraised her with equal speculation.

"And why would Odin, Allfather of Asgard send you to seek Idunn out?"

"My words are for Idunn herself and no one else."

A self satisfied smile spread across the young woman's face.

"This is proving to be an interesting afternoon, I am she who you seek, now who are you young one and what is it that the Allfather has sent you to me for?"

Eloise didn't miss Idunn's shrewd assessing look over her.

"I married his son but I am from Midgard-"

"Meaning you are mortal, and therefore he sends you to me to see if I will gift you one of my golden apples of immortality. I swear I grow tired of the old man's antics, throwing his decisions on me. He has the power to make you an aesir like that."

Idunn snapped her fingers as she finished speaking.

"You shall come with me and stay the night, after you have freshen up, we shall speak more."

The thought of a bath and a bed was almost too good to be true after four days on a horse and sleeping under the stars.

Idunn began to walk away, Eloise had to run to catch up with her.

"I need to find my horse first please, she ran away when someone walked in our path unexpected."

Idunn froze on the path, "Did you recognize this person?"

Something about her tone made Eloise apprehensive.

"No, but he was blue, I think he may have been a jotun."

Idunn turned back towards her, frowning.

"And you are not frightened of a jotun? Everyone here knows they are monsters."

She heard some underlying tension in Idunns voice.

"I don't think so, I happen to know one, very closely, he once said the same thing. But being different does not necessarily make someone into a monster."

Idunn's expression softened, she closed the space between the two of them and softly brushed her cheek.

"Where the nine realms did you come from my dear? You are a rarity here. Come, you horse will be found and returned to you in due course, I find myself eagerly awaiting our conversation now."

Without another word Idunn led the way winding thru the orchards, clearly following a path she knew but that Eloise would have immediately lost had she tried to find it again.

They turned a corned and as if by magic a small cottage appeared, she gasped cause Idunn to turn back to her, "Its a magical barrier. It only allows those in I welcome, for now you are welcomed."

Looking around she could almost see it, like a mirage extending out from the cottage.

Idunn watched her over her shoulder, her head cocked to the side, "Child can you see the barrier?"

"I think so, looks kinda like a mirage, over a hot road, soon as you focus on it you can't see it anymore."

Idunn regarded her even more interested now.

"Do you possess seidr child?"

Confused she furrowed her brow turning back to Idunn.

"You mean like magic? No. I am soul bound to someone who does have magic though, could that be it?"