{ chapter one }

Chapter one: Let's blow this popsicle stand

~~~~~~ ☼~~~~~~•

John B stood at the rooftop of the abandoned turtle habitat as he balanced on one foot, a half-full beer can hanging from his left hand carelessly as he overlooked the calm ocean. All it would take was a small gust of wind to make him fall down and probably break all of his limbs. It was a risk he was willing to take.

"That's what, a three-story fall to the deck?"
Pope stood on the deck below with piles of construction supplies around him as he looked up at the boy, playing with death like a small child.

"I'll give you about a one-in-three chance of survival," he added, holding a drill he had found from the construction site as he squinted due to the evening sun. Pope had always been one for math and numbers, so...he was probably correct. That's what everyone assumed, anyway.

"Hmm," John B mumbled, sticking his finger into his mouth before bringing it up to the sky to test the wind. "Should I do it?"

"Let's make a bet!" Aspen smiled as she brought her hand up to her forehead, covering her eyes from the sun. "I'm betting you break both of your legs and your back."

She was sitting next to JJ on a ledge that hung off the roof of the building they were hanging out at, holding a beer in her hands that rested on the safety bars. JJ chuckled at her, hitting his beer can with hers as they both took a sip at the same time.

"I'll add his left arm to the list." He winked with his lips on the beer can, turning his head to look at his reckless best friend again.

"Yeah, you should jump. I'll shoot you on the way down," Pope joined in, holding up his drill and pointing it towards the brunette boy.

"You're gonna shoot me?" John B tilted his head daringly before making his signature finger gun gesture and pretending to shoot Pope with it. "Pow."

"Yep," Pope confirmed.

"They're gonna have Japanese toilets with towel warmers." Kie appeared from inside the building she had been exploring, unimaginably irritated that turthes had to leave their home due to some greedy Kooks.

"Of course they are. Why wouldn't they?" JJ spoke from above the girl, looking down between the bars he was holding onto.

"I just don't see a reason why they wouldn't. Those towels don't warm themselves," Ace chuckled, twirling the beer can in a circular motion as she spoke.

"This used to be a turtle habitat," Kie sighed, the disappointment in people clear in her voice. "But who cares about the turtles, I guess."

"I can't have cold towels," JJ retorted, his brows furrowed.

His words made Kie look up, finally noticing John B standing on the edge or the roof, still balancing, even with alcohol in his system.

"Can you please not kill yourself?"