{ chapter twenty three }

Chapter twenty three: don't be like that, shoupe

•~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~•

The next morning, after they had cleaned their cuts, the four teenagers took Kiara's car to Hayward's Seafood to help him out around the store.

John B was still AWOL, which the teens hadn't questioned too much, since he liked to deal with his troubles alone. He was probably in a forest somewhere, drinking beer and looking at the sky until he came to terms with losing the gold.

"Don't let it get in your head, bro." JJ told Pope while he was juggling with a fruit. "There's three of them and two of us. That's some typical Kook shit right there."

"Hell yeah." Kie commented.

"Uh, hello? Are you forgetting the fact that I was the main component in that fight?" Ace frowned, pointing at her face. After cleaning her wounds, her face looked less bad, but the cut on her eyebrow and the bruises on her knuckles were still clearly visible.

"You don't count, look at you. You look like you were hit by a car." JJ mocked playfully, fully knowledgeable that she had held up her own very well.

She gave him a sarcastic smile, holding up her middle finger before fixing some of the items on the shelves.

"What was your thought process, using your head?" The blonde boy asked Pope.

"I don't know, man." Pope sighed. "I just kind of acted off instinct, all right? I was a cornered animal."

Ace looked back at him with a smile, rearranging the fruit stands when a familiar voice sounded from the door. "Hey Pope, Aspen, there's someone here to see you." Hayward pointed at the door.

Their eyes landed on the two deputy's that walked through the doorway, resulting in them both swallowing hard. Shoupe's eyes instantly landed on Aspen's.

"Evening officers." Pope said respectfully, his eyes full of worry. Shoupe nodded in acknowledgement, but his partner stayed quiet.

For a second, Ace glanced at the back door, contemplating running, but decided against it when Shoupe spoke.

"And don't even think about running, Anderson. We have another police car out back, just for you." He pointed at the girl, then at the back door.

"Shit." She dragged the word under her breath, looking at JJ nervously.

"We have two arrest warrants for felony destruction of property." Shoupe remarked as he welcomed himself inside.

Pope looked beyond horrified. Deep down, he had expected this to happen, but that didn't make it any easier in the moment.

"What?" Hayward shot his son a perplexed look.

The two teens looked back at JJ, who had been staring back at the pair the entire time. "Deny, deny, deny." The blonde mouthed to them, making the girl nod carefully.