{ chapter seventeen }

Chapter seventeen: daddy disown you?

tw:
more violence than in the show.

•~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~•

Rock music was blaring from the radio as the van pulled up into the back parking lot of The Wreck—Kie's family's restaurant.

The sun had set a couple hours prior, the moment they pulled away from the impound yard becoming a distant memory in the teens' minds. They had so many more things to worry about.

"Stealing drones makes you hungry." Kie chuckled as she opened the passenger door to hop out, the rest of the teens pouring out of the van alongside the girl.

"What I would do to a beer and shrimp and grits right now." JJ mumbled in a dreamy haze. The teens were all tired and hungry—but the fear of not getting any leftovers was wide awake in all of their minds.

"It would not be pretty." Pope closed the door of the van.

The crew began walking over to the restaurant, tiredly pushing the door open as Kie chirped happily. "Hey dad. How'd we do?"

"Didn't turn it over once." Mr. Carrera answered while walking over to his daughter, bringing her into a warm hug.

"It's probably just bad luck because of the storm." The girl hugged him back, laying her head on his chest as she tried to reassure him their luck was going to turn for the better.

"Yeah, I'll be sure to tell the banks that." He smiled, not wanting her to worry about money after they had worked so hard to make the worries disappear.

The four other teens made their way to one of the round tables, disrupting the peace of the other costumers as they ate, while leaning on the wall lazily.

Ace took off one of her brown beaded bracelets that matched JJ's, playing with it while her stomach growled protests her way for not eating all day.

"Guess now is not the best time to ask for free food for me and my friends?" Kie smiled widely, putting on her best good daughter performance in front of her father to get her way.

"Look at them." He sighed, turning his gaze towards the wretched bunch. "They're greedy pelicans."

"I'm so hungry." John B rubbed his belly, making the three others focus their attention to him and laugh, pointing and saying something the father daughter duo couldn't hear properly.

"Come on, feel how empty it is." The boy continued.

Ace reached out, poking the boy's stomach. "Almost as empty as your head."

Kie couldn't help but smile as she looked over at them. She loved her friends to bits, and she wasn't sure how she would make her father understand that.