{ chapter four }

[ just pretend ace is in this picture ]

Chapter four: finder's fee

•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•

For a minute, everybody seemed shocked. Nobody even considered Pope's words to be true. It wasn't fair for them to brush him off like that, and even though it wasn't really an excuse, they had just crashed into a sandbar that definitely left memories on each and every one of their bodies in the form of scars or bruises. Maybe a broken back for JJ.

But still, Pope was adamant.

"Bullshit."

"Shut up."

"No way."

"What?"

"No, no, guys, I'm serious." Pope arched over the water. "There's like a boat down there, for real."

Ace stepped closer, squinting her eyes. Low and behold, she saw the edge of something white poking out of the water just below the marsh surface. "To be honest you guys, my eyesight is not the best but I can see it too."

"Holy shit, he's right. Let's go," Kie agreed, tapping Aspen's arm to signal her to jump down. She didn't hesitate.

The girl began undressing, leaving her in a light blue bikini with white flowers on them. She had stolen it from a pop up shop because it reminded her of her first surfboard. She'd described it as 'Kooky' and wanted to pretend she was rich.

"Geronimo." Ace jumped down, landing into the water gracefully with a splash, turning her head away when John B created an even bigger one after her.

"Do you think there's a dead body in there?" Pope voiced his question, his brows knitted in worry.

"Jesus, I sure hope not." Kie made a face, breaking the water surface anyway.

And when Pope finally decided to join them, the teens all took deep breaths and dove down to the white boat that looked relatively new, expensive, suspicious and clear of dead bodies.

They examined it for as long as they could hold their breaths for, which wasn't all that long, eventually needing to pop back up for air.

Placing her legs on top of the boat and pushing her body off of it, Ace reappeared at the surface, along with her four friends. Immediately after resurfacing, JJ laughed from excitement. "You guys saw that right?"

"We did," they all replied in unison.

"That's a Grady-White," JJ geeked. He had always possessed admirable knowledge of boats, dreaming of owning one himself. One that could take him through the Atlantic. At least that's what he'd said he wanted when Aspen asked what he would like for his birthday. "A new one of those is like 500 Gs, easy."