{ chapter thirty one }

[ just pretend ace is in this picture ]

Chapter thirty one: that looks like my stepmom

•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•

John B threw his head back, choosing to be in denial of the whole thing as to not shit his pants while trying to find the gold from Mrs. Crain's property. "God, you're so full of shit."

"Dude, I swear to god man." JJ shook his head with wide eyes.

"Did she call the police?" Pope asked, worry in his voice.

"She didn't have time to- wait, hold on, bro!" JJ tried to speak, but ended up having to stop John B from walking past them and into the yard of Mrs. Crain.

"What?" He frustratedly sighed.

"You sure you wanna do this?" The blonde eyed him up and down. "She's an axe murderer, man, you got a cast on."

"I don't give a shit if she's an axe murderer, okay?" John B snapped.

Pope and Ace eyed him with concern.

"Well..uh, you probably should." Ace licked her dry lips, looking up at the house. Her body shivered and goosebumps arose on her skin when she watched the white curtains move slightly.

"I got nothin' to lose, right? You comin' or what?" John B ducked underneath some longer branches that were hanging from a tree next to the small path they were taking to the house.

"He still got Sarah." Ace snickered, nudging Pope who shared her laugh. He wouldn't admit it, but they all knew he was secretly happy that John B wasn't after Kiara anymore.

"Come on." Kie rushed them, making the two quickly follow along.

They snuck around the tall grass, maneuvering their bodies over the fallen sticks and branches as they avoided making too much noise. Yes, the woman was old, but yes, old ladies can be just as flexible and quick.

The five teens huddled close, hiding in the bushes when John B ushered for them to come over to him.

"So here's the plan. We need to look for the wheat near the water like it said in Denmark's letter." John B whispered.

"Okay, like, what kind of water? Like, pond water?" Pope questioned.

"Bong water?" JJ chuckled, hearing the words wrong.

"Not everything's about weed, JJ." Ace laughed, quietly hoping they were actually talking about said water. "But like for real? Were you talking about bong water?"

The two earned glares from their friends.

"No. It-it just said look for water, okay?" John B repeated the words from the letter, remembering them by heart at that point.