{ chapter fourteen }

Chapter fourteen: dear bird

•~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~•

Ace was leaning on the wall of the dimly lit Château, tapping her foot nervously as she waited for John B to open the envelope. She couldn't understand how John B had the patience to wait that long. If it were up to her, she would have ripped it open as soon as she had the chance.

JJ had been preparing some bread for himself, spreading peanut butter on the slices in the dim glow of the lantern the teens had brought back from their cemetery adventure.

"That bread had mold on it three days ago."
Pope told the blonde, expecting him to realize that toast with blue spots on it wasn't usually edible.

"I'll just pull off the bad parts." JJ shrugged his shoulders before continuing to work on his evening meal. "Plus, mold is good for you. It's just a natural organism."

"Your immune system is not gonna like that meal, that's for sure." Ace scoffed, pushing her back off the wall and leaning on the table John B was sitting at, holding the large envelope.

"JJ." Kie called him over to them.

"Yup, yup, yup. Hot damn! Let's do it." He raced over to the table, leaning over John B's shoulder to get a good look at the envelope.

JJ held the moldy bread in his other hand and a beer in the other, making Ace scrunch her nose in disgust. He offered the bread to her, but she just shook her head rabidly.

"I'd like to keep my stomach acids, thank you." She smiled with sarcasm. JJ looked at his creation, shrugging as if to say 'suit yourself' before taking a big bite out of his scrumptious meal, which turned out to be not-so-scrumptious after he spat it out onto his hand, taking it away with a small gag.

Ace couldn't help but laugh at him, knowing it probably tasted absolutely foul.

As JJ walked back from his trip to the trash can, John B had ripped the envelope open, taking out a map with all sorts of coordinates on it. "Holy shit." Was all he said as he interpreted it.

"Oh, X marks the spot." Pope pointed at the small 'x' on the left side of the map.

"Longitude, latitude.." John B's finger travelled over the map. "Wait, there's something else in there." He reached into the envelope once more, now holding a black tape recorder. Ace got a bad feeling in her gut as soon as she saw it.

"What's that?" JJ asked moronically.

"It's a tape recorder, dumbass." Kie glared at him, looking back down at the object.

"Have you never seen a tape recorder before?" Ace asked with derision, making the boy slowly shake his head. "Of course not." She ran a hand through her hair.