{ chapter eighteen }

Chapter eighteen: JJ believes

•~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~•

The pair stood in the middle of the boat, looking out at the water with crossed arms. Ace had been examining the wound on Pope's temple while completely neglecting her own bruised wrist and bleeding lip. Plus her throbbing scalp that had been roughly yanked back by the Kook not thirty minutes prior.

"Are you sure you're okay? He hit you pretty hard with that golf club." Ace carefully asked, watching as a tear rolled down his cheek.

"I'm fine." Was all that he said.

"Okay." She nodded, knowing that wasn't the truth.

"Guys! You are not going to believe what just happened to me, man." The two teens heard JJ yell as he ran down the dock in order to reach the boat with the two brunettes. "Whoo! That was the best 100 bucks I've ever made!"

He sounded so excited, it made Ace want to stay quiet about the whole incident.

"When I say count me in on all these grocery deliveries, I mean it." JJ laughed happily, reaching the boat, faling to notice the gloomy looks on both of his friends faces.

"That's great JJ." Ace tried to keep her voice steady, feeling hurt—not because of herself, but because of Pope. The poor boy had been so shaken up he hadn't said anything while they walked back to the boat empty handed.

They didn't have the guts to go deliver the groceries that were muddy from being thrown around on the ground, so they had left it all and simply given up on the money.

"What's up with you guys?" The blonde immediately noted the change in her way of speaking. "You good?"

When he didn't get an answer, he leaned over, noticing the blood that was peeking out from under Pope's hat.

"Yo, what happened to your face, dude?" JJ's face shifted to one of worry as he stood up and took a closer look at Pope's wound, lifting his cap slightly to see it better.

"Jesus!" He yelled after being met with the bloody mark. Pope pushed his hand away gently, fixing the hat on his face to hide the bruise.

"What happened?" The blonde questioned sternly.

Ace was looking out the window, not wanting to say anything. She was still wishing to keep the mood a little less heavy.

"Rafe and Topper jumped us." Pope answered, looking straight in front of him while steering the boat, a small tear falling from his eye.

JJ furrowed his eyebrows, turning his head to look at the girl who was still staring out the window.

She was silent, not turning around upon feeling his eyes bore into her back. She quickly tried to wipe the dried up blood from her face.