{ chapter twenty eight }

Chapter twenty eight: there was access alright

•~~~~~~~ ☼~~~~~~~•

Cicadas could be heard chirping all around them when the five teens sat around a campfire they had made in the woods.

The wood crackled as Pope threw a couple more sticks in the fire to make it last longer, providing them with warmth and light in the chilly summer air.

JJ had taken off his fancy suit, having his regular clothes still stored inside John B's duffel bag, that happened to be the same exact one they had salvaged from the Grady White a while back.

Aspen's clothes were somewhere in the depths of that bag as well, but they were wet and dirty, so she had decided to keep her dress on. She knew she would never wear it again anyway, so might as well make the most of it.

Kiara was in her midsummers dress as well, not having a spare outfit since she had gone to the extravagant Kook party with her family, expecting to go home right after it was over.

"Hey, guys. So like, my dad's already gonna kill me." Pope sighed, sitting down on one of the logs around the campfire. "So, what's this mandatory meeting about?"

John B shot JJ with finger guns, expecting him to explain the situation in his behalf.

"Might as well tell him, man, before we get gaffed." JJ played with a branch he had found somewhere on their way to the forest.

"You ready for this?" John B looked around his friends.

Kiara shot him a worried look. "Yeah." She eagerly answered when nobody else did.

"So...the gold never went down with the Royal Merchant." The brunette boy began, keeping the anticipation up instead of vomiting all the words out at once.

"Oh my god, here we go again with this." Pope groaned, already regretting his rash decision to leave his father at the party, knowing he was going to get his ass beat when he returned home.

"No. All right, wait." JJ looked into Pope's eyes before he could begin protesting. "Hear him out, alright?"

John B held his finger in front of his lips, beaming soundlessly. "It's been here the whole time. It's on the island."

"Are you serious?" Kie shook her head. "Oh my god." She breathed out a laugh.

"We're gonna be rich." Ace leaned into JJ's ear, her voice barely above a whisper.

"I'd like to voice my skepticism." Pope raised his eyebrows, most likely having a whole argument ready inside of his mind incase his skepticism sparked a fight.

"I'm sure you would, Pope." John B pushed himself off the log he was sitting on next to Kie.
"But can I present you with my evidence, sir?" He held out his hand, speaking to Pope like a professional.