{ chapter twenty six }

Chapter twenty six: attractive waiter

[ the dress ace is wearing is in the picture slot above this one ]

•~~~~~~~ ☼~~~~~~~•

The evening had settled over the Outer Banks when JJ, John B and Ace pulled the HMS Pogue to shore on Figure Eight. The sky was colored in blues and pinks and purples so rich, it nearly made Aspen think the Kooks had paid the sky to look so beautiful.

John B had come up with a brilliant plan to go straight into the lions den, which meant marching into the midsummer party only meant for Kooks. JJ and Ace had both been extremely skeptical about the whole thing, but they decided to go with it anyway. They didn't get invited to fancy parties such as that too often, so might as well join in on the fun for a few hours.

"Ready?" JJ asked the two, his shoes in his other hand and a black duffel bag that had a suit inside of it that was meant to help him blend into the crowd over his shoulder.

"Not at all." Ace whined as she walked out of the water, holding onto her mother's dress. She had planned to wear it for the first time that day, and she was not excited to find out how it looked on her.

"Can you guys believe this Midsummer shit?" John B shook his head in disappointment while looking at the fairy lights surrounding the Kook hotel Midsummers was held at every year.

"Of course we can. Happens every year, no matter how screwed up the rest of us are." The Maybank boy scoffed. "So like, what's the plan exactly?"

"Okay, look, I need you two to get this to Sarah." John B handed JJ a piece of folded paper.

"Oohh! Can I read it?" The nosy blonde immediately asked.

"No, you can't read it." John B stammered, clearly embarrassed by whatever he had wrote, making the two others even more curious.

"Who's Vlad?" Ace laughed as she jumped over JJ's shoulder to read the note JJ had already managed to open.

"God, do you guys ever listen?" The brunette groaned.

"You're passing love notes to Sarah Cameron? Wow, it's so romantic it makes me wanna puke." Ace made a gagging sound jokingly, making JJ's eyes widen. The boy hadn't completely understood what it meant when a guy was passing secret notes to a girl.

"Hold up...Are you mackin' Sarah Cameron?" JJ broke into a grin.

"Would you just shut up?" John B tried to take the note back, as if it would change the fact that the two children had already managed to read it and get all hyped up about it.

"Oh my god, you are!" Ace jumped around the sand, doing the Pogue handshake with JJ out of excitement.

"I'm doing it for everybody, all right?" John B said sternly, in full defense mode.