{ chapter thirteen }

Chapter thirteen: homie's got a gun

•~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~•

The pogues were driving down a deserted road, still unaware of the location John B was driving their van towards. The sun was long gone, replaced by the glow of the moon as the shadows took over the normally colorful island of Outer Banks.

"You mind if I just relax on this one? It's been a long day and...and a lot of weird stuff has gone down." JJ questioned from his spot next to Ace in the back of the van. He had been exiled the moment Kie told them she wanted the passenger seat. She had even lied about having car sickness.

"I'm just gonna lay low." The blonde held the half-smoked blunt between his fingers—it being threateningly close to falling from his grip. His voice was droopy as he was already so high one would think he saw the astral plane.

"Oh, did you want a hit of this?" He offered the blunt to Pope, who tried to move further away from it.

"I keep the signal clear." Pope held his hand out in a declining motion.

"I don't." Ace smiled as she turned around in her seat, taking the blunt from JJ. It was their third one of the day, and they both felt it in their bloodstreams.

"Dude, okay. Do you understand that your problem is that you don't get creative?" JJ took his blunt back from the girl, both grinning at each other over their shared love for the intoxicating feeling. "If you got creative, then-"

"Look, I-I know I was wrong about the lighthouse, alright? And-and pretty much wrong about everything else going on, but I was right about one thing, okay? John B cut JJ off. "My dad is trying to tell me something." He steered the van as he looked back at his friends, two of which were mentally not on the same plane of understanding at the moment.

•~~~~~~~ ☼~~~~~~~•

Nearly an hour and a half of driving later, the teens found themselves at an old graveyard with nothing but flashlights guiding their way.

"Hey, come on." John B hurried Ace and JJ who were struggling to maintain their balance as they stumbled out of the van.

"We're coming." Ace groaned, following behind the rest of the group.

"This place is scary." Kie admitted, watching her steps carefully to make sure she didn't fall and break her legs due to a fallen branch or something. "John B what are we doing?"

"Okay so, you know how you're trying to remember a song and you can't remember who sings it?" John B asked them.

"Yeah. I had this one song stuck in my head for a year once. In the end I heard a fisherman whistling it and ended up realizing it was the coconut mall from Mario Cart-" Ace widened her eyes as she dragged her feet along the dark cemetery.