{ chapter thirty two }

Chapter thirty two: went for the hail-mary

•~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~•

The sun was shining brightly above the Outer Banks. The Tourons were happy, running down the beaches with their lovers and friends, having the time of their lives. The locals were out fishing, looking for the next big bait to brag about, and the Kooks were somewhere out in the water, comparing expensive boats.

But JJ, Ace, Pope, Kiara and John B were on the porch of the Château, arguing about Sarah Cameron's unexpected appearance.

John B had proceeded to drag his Kook girlfriend over to his house, informing his friends that she was fully a part of their plan now. It wasn't like the other teens had a problem with it, but Kiara...well, it's safe to say she was more furious than Aspen had ever seen her. And that was saying a lot. The girl was an environmental activist and more passionate about the health of turtles than the people on the island.

"No effing way!" Kiara yelled while she paced around the porch.

John B was sitting on the armrest of the couch, giving his girlfriend space to sit by herself.

JJ was situated on top of a red armchair, and Pope was sitting on a stool next to him. There wasn't much space left for Aspen, but she refused to sit next to Sarah during the argument, so she had opted to sit on the railing of the porch behind Pope and JJ.

"You brought her here? So what, she's in on this now?" Kie fumed, stopping for a while to stare at John B before eying the three others who were sitting at the end of the porch.

Pope mumbled something inaudibly, but the shrug of his shoulders told them he had said something to indicate he wasn't sure.

"Look, all I care about is her cut.." JJ pointed at Sarah. "..comes out of your share." He pointed at John B. None of the other teens were ready to split the gold into any more parts. Sarah was going to need to share with her lover.

"You know, I don't remember taking a vote." Kiara scowled. "This is our thing. A Pogue thing."

"I gotta say, I'm just a tad uncomfortable with all of this." Pope told them. It was a feeling most of them shared.

"Thank you!" Kie pointed at the boy with gratitude.

"When are you not uncomfortable?" John B shrugged, wide eyed as he stared at Pope. As much as Ace hated to admit it, Pope was uncomfortable 99% of the time.

"Well I dunno. I rode here on the back of JJ's bike pretty comfortably." He replied matter-of-factly as he shut down John B's previous words.

There was a second of silence before JJ spoke up.

"It's true. Most relaxed I've ever seen him."
The blonde confirmed, spacing out and staring at the floorboards of the Château's back porch.

"Looked like he was gonna fall asleep."
Ace added with pursed lips as she nodded her head in unison with Pope.