{ chapter five }

Chapter five: motel or meth lab?

•~~~~~~~☼~~~~~~~•

The HMS pogue drifted down the marsh as the teens made their way towards the motel where the room their key would unlock was presumably located at. Even from afar they could tell it looked like a piece of shit.

Ace was playing with the key that had the
room number on it, the writing a bit faded due to the water and the heat of the summer air. You could barely tell it said '229' on it.

JJ whistled loudly as the boat neared the motel.
"I thought the Château looked bad." But the contrast was incomparable.

"The Château is nothing compared to this shitshow," Ace breathed out, lifting her attention from the key that she held tightly in her grip, trying not to accidentally drop it in the water. It was a miracle it hadn't already happened.

"Motel or meth lab?" Kie wondered out loud.

"You be the judge." Pope scanned the sketchy looking building. It was falling apart, undoubtedly from the inside out, and was definitely not a place someone with money would hang around. Rafe Cameron and his crew would rather die than step into a place like that.

"Doesn't look like the type of place somebody with a Grady-White would stay," John B pointed out.

"No. Looks like the type of place someone with a Gardy-White would get killed," Pope answered, not sure himself if he was joking or not.

"That would explain why the owner wasn't there." Aspen's tone was grim, but they all knew she spoke the truth. If the owner's body wasn't floating somewhere out in the marsh maze, it was definitely buried in the walls of the motel.

"All right. Here we go. This is your captain speaking. HMS Pogue comin' in for landing," JJ pretended to speak on a walkie-talkie again as the boat gently crashed with the ground. He jumped off the bow of the boat with a "whoo!" before tying the rope to a brach on the land to keep the boat steady.

"We good?" John B questioned the Maybank boy.

"Yeah, we good." JJ nodded back.

"All right. Here goes nothin'."

Before John B could exit the HMS, Pope stopped him by saying: "Hey. Don't let them do anything stupid." pointing at Ace and JJ who smiled at him childishly.

"Oh, we will." JJ nodded, placing his arm around Aspen's shoulder again as they both stood on the wet grass. The rain Agatha brought forth had been pretty consistent before the storm had passed.

"I'm not making promises." John B shook his head as he looked at the two, knowing full well they would end up getting in some type of trouble.

"Yeah, I know," Pope sighed in defeat.