{ chapter twenty one }

Chapter twenty one: death squad

•~~~~~~~ ☼~~~~~~~•

After the awkward incident between the three teenagers, they had all split up around the Château. 

Ace had went out to the dock, looking at the water as it shimmered in the sunlight. Meanwhile JJ had sat on the porch with a beer in his hand, staring at the girl's back across the yard. Pope had just stayed inside, probably washing his eyes to unsee the unholy position the two problematic teens had been in.

They were all forced back together when Kiara had pulled up to the Château with her car, yelling for them to get inside and go to the outdoor movie theater that showed up in the Outer Banks every summer with her.

The car ride had been silent. Only Kie had attempted to strike up a conversation, but was left perplexed when the others only threw in one word, or two at a maximum.

She shrugged it off, but didn't fail to notice the awkward tention that was floating around JJ and Ace. They had barely looked at each other after leaving the Château.

If the girl hadn't threatened Pope in order to get him to shut up, he would already be telling Kiara all the details. But Ace truly wasn't ready for the others to tease her and JJ for the rest of their lives about their complicated relationship—which she wasn't even sure could be called a relationship.

Kiara parked her car a bit further away from the screen, forcing the rest of her friends to grab all of the blankets and chairs she had brought with her. Something worth noting about Kie, was that she always came prepared.

"I'm so glad that they're still doing this." Kie beamed as she neared the large movie screen with a beach bag hanging from her shoulder. "Keep calm, carry on. Back to OBX life, you know?"

JJ fixed the red cap on his head, carrying an equally red cooler in his right hand. Pope was carrying a blue and a red folding chair and Ace was carrying a similar blue and white striped one.

"Aren't you guys glad that I made you come?" Kie smiled at the three.

"Thrilled." Ace answered unenthusiastically.

"Ecstatic." Pope said at the same time, clearing his throat afterwards.

"John B's couch was pretty comfy, I'll be honest." JJ set the cooler down to the ground.

"We're out of the green-zone." Pope leaned down to JJ and Ace. The three were apparently done ignoring each other, even though the awkward atmosphere was still lingering around them like pollution.

"Dude, tranquilo, okay?" JJ whispered back.

"We're in the middle of Kooklandia." Pope sighed. "This is the last place I wanted to be."

"Like zombieland, but worse." Ace nodded, referring to the movie she had seen while looking around the Kooks who were surrounding them from every angle.