Part 37

👑👑👑

Today's volleyball tournament is something else. As I look around the venue, I can see that it's crowded, which makes sense since 20 schools are competing. My team and I represent the only school from California, and we've already won three matches so far. I can feel the excitement and tension building up inside of me as we wait for our next match. Watching West Highschool play against their opponent, I can tell they'll be our biggest competition. These guys are tall, synchronized, and receiving well. We are on the same level, and I'm sure that if we battle them, it will be epic. Unfortunately, they are in pool B, so we'll have to wait until the qualifying matches are over to face them.

I watch my teammates observing every point that West Junior Highschool makes, studying their middle and pipe attacks. Coach tells us that West Highschool has the most effective volleyball program among the competing high schools. It all makes sense now.

Our next match is against Syracuse Junior Highschool, and their players look tall and powerful. We don't let our guard down and continue to play well, especially with our good receives. Vanjoe is on fire throughout the game, and we're doing great.

During a huddle, Elliot tells us that the West Junior Highschool players are watching us. TJ and the others agree that we need to show them what our team is capable of. Ivan asks me to do what we practiced, and I know we're doing the quick sets. We serve, and the other team receives it nicely. They run a pipe combination, using the wing spiker as a decoy. I place myself between the gap of our blockers and wait for the spike. I trust my angle and form, so I return the spike perfectly. The commentators are going wild with that dig. It's a perfect pass to Ivan, who then does his magic with TJ, using Vanjoe as a decoy, and smashes the ball to the opponent's court. We celebrate that point as a team.

I turn my gaze toward the West Highschool players with a fierce expression, then switch to a sweet smile. It's on. They begin talking to each other, so I switch my gaze. We win the match, earning our fourth win of the day. The victory means that we've secured our spot for the semifinal round tomorrow.

Being in a relationship with one of my teammates motivates me to do well in this tournament, but we need to remain professional inside the playing court. Elliot is a clingy boyfriend who always wants hugs and cuddles, but when we're playing together, we need to limit our contacts to appear decent to the coaches and audience. Most of my teammates are straight, so it would be awkward for them to see us canoodling. Instead of hugs, we do high fives. It's new to us, but we're adjusting.

As we move back to the hotel, we celebrate what we've accomplished so far. Vanjoe and Ivan invite us to explore the city, but I refuse because I need to rest and regain my energy. I head inside the shower room, browse for a good song, and choose Donna Summer's "Hot Stuff." It's just what I need to unwind after an intense day of volleyball.

I was exhausted after a series of games, but I was feeling myself again with the rhythm of the song. Elliot was right; I could be called a diva because of my song choices. I craved a hot bath after matching my energy with the cold weather. I was submerged in the warm water when I heard the door open.

"Elli?" I called, expecting an answer. None came, so I shrugged it off. As the song continued, the shower door opened, and I felt a grip on my shoulder. I was startled, and when I turned around, I saw that TJ was standing there naked. I had felt his touch before in the shower room, but this time, it was different. I was scared, and he should not have been there.