Part 15

👑👑👑

After an hour of resting and planning for the match, it was finally time to compete against Richard Browning School for the volleyball championship match. As I entered the playing court, I could hear the crowd getting hyped up, cheering for both schools. I even saw some familiar faces from my school on the bench cheering and waving at us.

I was feeling very anxious at the moment, wanting nothing more than to win. This was my very first championship match here and I couldn't afford to lose it. The emcee started the program with an introduction of the players, starting with our opponents, and the crowds went wild when a player's name was called.

Later on, it was our turn to be introduced, and to my surprise, the crowd was hyped as well. I joined my teammates and gave them high-fives before entering the court. We huddled real quick, "Let's win this game!" TJ shouted and the referee whistled.

We started off by receiving first and positioning ourselves accordingly. The serve was floating and not intended for me, but Darryl (our wing spiker) from the back receives the ball. It was almost a miss-receive, but I retrieved it and handed it over as a free ball to the other team.

They set up for an attack and it was a quick play courtesy of their middle, causing the ball to bounce to the floor. It was a statement, one that I took to heart.

They served again, and this time I was the one to receive. I passed the ball to Ivan quickly enough to make a play. TJ approached for a quick open, but Ivan switched it up, and Vanjoe smashed the ball from a running attack. We shouted in triumph as we made our first point of the game.

As the match continued, there were lots of actions from both of our teams. The attacks were heated, the blocks were there, and the digs were dramatic. Stare downs, boasting, and the energy were intense. Ivan, Elliot, TJ, Vanjoe, Seth, Darryl, Aaron, and I worked tirelessly in this game, giving it our all.

It came to the point where we were tied with 2 sets, moving forward to a deciding set, racing to 15 points. The viewers were loving the game thus far.

Things got more heated when the opponent's setter maximized their middle spiker and earned most of their points, but we had to give them a fight. So, we worked on blocking, covering, digging, and deflecting their attacks.

Tied at 10-10, it was our turn to serve, and it turned out to be a long rally. I was ready for their quick play. My angle was right, my legs were strong, and my arms were ready when the ball was served to me by their tall middle spiker. I saw it coming and deflected it with courage. The ball soared enough for Ivan to run for it and set it for Elliot. However, he was dug up by the libero of the other team.

I positioned myself for another attack from the opponent, and it was given to me from the back. "Heeey," I shouted. Everyone cheered and screamed when they saw my butterfly dig. Adding sass to it, my teammates were smirking. Ivan set the play too quickly, but I was there to cover the back. The ball lifted again, Ivan set it once more, this time for TJ to pipe attack. "Cover!" he shouted.

But then again, it was recovered by the other team, and they managed a cross-court shot. However, I was there, throwing my body and extending my arms. The ball bounced again, and Ivan set it for Elliot once more.

I felt a smile form on my face, "Thanks," I managed to say, but inside, my stomach was doing flip-flops. It was our volleyball game and the score was 11-10, and we were up to serve. Elliot was in position, ready to unleash a powerful jump serve. He was one of our strongest players, and he had already scored a couple of ace services.

The opposing team retrieved the ball and faked a quick play before hitting a down-the-line shot. It happened so fast that Elliot didn't even have time to react. "Sorry," he said when we huddled, looking a little dejected.

"Don't worry about it. Just make up for it," I replied, trying to encourage him. "Yeah, sure," he replied, looking a little more confident.

Then Ivan spoke up, "Apol, pass the ball high and a little tight to the net just once." He seemed to be up to something. "I'll try," I said, feeling a little nervous.

The referee blew the whistle, and the opposing team was up to serve. It was a tough serve, but just like Ivan had asked for, it was high and tight to the net. Ivan quickly jumped and dumped the ball over his blockers before they could form a full block, scoring us a point. It was Ivan's signature move, a 'quick power dump tip.'

The score was now 12-11, and we were just three points away from winning the match. We were up to serve again, courtesy of Darryl. He served short, but the other team dealt with it well, setting themselves up for another quick hit. But I wasn't going to let that happen. Darryl dug the ball, but it came back as a free gift for the enemy's middle spiker.

I quickly jolted upfront, anticipating the first-line attack, and I was right. The middle spiker smashed the ball, but I was ready for the reception. To my surprise, I screamed, "ANGAT KA DAAAY!" after deflecting the ball and stumbled backward. We ended up winning the point when TJ outsmarted his blocker with a drop ball, leaving us two points ahead of our opponent.

I could hear the laughter of the audience in the background. What was embarrassing was the way I shouted, like a girl screaming. 🤣

I remembered that I used to shout it whenever I had a good reception back in the Philippines. "Oh my God, that was fucking badass!" Elliot shouted and approached me for a hug, with the others following suit. I gave in, giggling the whole time.

"Did you just curse, Apol? Haha, what was that you shouted?" Ivan asked, laughing at me. It was a good thing that the referees seemed to be cool about us boasting and shouting; they even seemed to be entertained, I guess?

"I'll explain later. Let's end this, shall we?" I told them confidently. "Aight, that's the spirit!" TJ replied, smiling in awe.

The other team was fighting back hard, and we tied at 13-13. But when TJ scored two service aces, we won the match. I jumped to him and hugged him tightly like a koala in a tree, and the others joined in, making us all stumble to the ground. We were laughing so hard; we were so happy that we won the match. We wanted this victory as much as the others, which was why we fought so hard for it.

As I shook hands with the other team and thanked them for the game, a few of them asked me to take a picture with them. I was flattered and agreed, but I couldn't help feeling a bit uncomfortable as they showered me with compliments. Despite this, I remained humble and gracious throughout.

After the photo, our team gathered together and took a picture with the trophy, beaming with pride and satisfaction. As we posed, some students from our school approached me and asked if they could have a picture with me. I was overwhelmed by the attention and popularity that was developing since I joined the team. They also gave me compliments, which made me feel both happy and humbled.

Finally, my parents approached me, and I noticed that my mom was crying tears of pride and joy for my achievement. We exchanged hugs and kisses, and I felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude and happiness.

As we left the gymnasium, I couldn't help but reflect on the day's events. Today was truly a date to remember, not just for me, but for our whole team. It was our first official win ever, and it was a moment that we would cherish forever. The memories of the game and the celebrations that followed would always hold a special place in our hearts.

👑👑👑

Author's Note:  

Wow! a lot has happened in this episode, I hope you enjoyed it.

What do you think about Apol getting famous?

Let me know your thoughts
Comment and Vote! 👑💜