Chapter 1

*So Hyun’s POV*

It was 6:30 AM, I woke up to my alarm. I sat up straight, stretched my arms and yawned. I looked over at my left side and saw my one and only friend Jane, still sleeping peacefully. I decided to wake her up.

“Hey, wake up”, I said. And she groaned. “Five more minutes”, she said in a sleepy voice.“No, you always say five minutes and end up sleeping for hours, get up already!”, I yelled.

“I’m up, I’m up”, she said while rubbing her eyes.“Good”, I said and went to the windowsill. I removed the curtains and saw what once was a breathtaking sight but now a place overflowing with a deadly virus. I sighed and looked over at Jane who had laid on her bed again.

“Jane?”, I called out.“Huh? What?”, she said.“When are you planning to get up?”, I asked.“Oh, I’m up”, she said as she stood up in an instant and got dizzy.

I shook my head and went to the bathroom to get freshed. When I came out I saw Jane sleeping ‘again’. I had enough and yelled at the top of my voice.

“Jane! Wake up you sleepy head!”, I yelled. “Huh, what? Oh yeah, I’m up”, she said with her widened eyes.“You can go to the bathroom now”, I said and went to the kitchen to prepare breakfast.

“Aye! Aye! Captain”, she said and saluted in an annoyed way and went to the bathroom. I had prepared breakfast for me and Jane. Keeping it on the counter and adjusting the chairs, I sat down.

Speak of the devil.

Jane arrived and sat on her seat. “Why did you wake me up so early? The ship doesn’t arrive until 8”, she said. “I didn’t wake you up for the ship”, I said. “What?!”, she said as she dropped the spoon of cereal in the bowl.

“We’re going to search for survivors”, I said subtly. “So Hyun, we’ve talked about this. There are no survivors left, how long do you plan on staying here?”, she asked.
“I told you, I’m not going anywhere without finding every last human being”, I answered.

“Look, the ship comes only once every year to pick up any last survivors. What if it doesn’t come again after today? Your telling me  you want to miss that opportunity and look around for people? ”, she asked.

“It will be back I’m sure of it and yes I’ll look around for people”, I answered. “Don’t you have a life to live? Huh? How long do you think you can keep doing this? We have to leave this place before we get infected. Do you want to become like those zombies out there?”, she asked.

“I will keep searching until I’m certain that there are no survivors left, and I don’t want to live in this hell hole any more than you do. But we have to keep searching”, I replied.

“So Hyun, we have been delaying the ship for the past 6 years. I don’t want to delay it any further. I just want to get out of here. Today it’s final, we’re leaving”, she finished her statement and started eating her bowl of cereal.

“Jane, do you remember the day when I saved you?”, I asked. “Yeah, why?”, she asked. “I don’t think you remember clearly”, I said. “I do”, she answered with determination and folded her arms across her chest.

“That day is still vivid in my head. It was my normal routine, go out and find the lost survivors and bring them to a safe place until the ship comes. Just walking around looking for any sign of survivors, I spotted you, a girl crying underneath a tilted car…”, I said.

“Hey, I remember it, why are you telling me all this?”, she asked.
“I’m talking here”, I said as Jane pouted. “As I was saying, you were crying underneath the car and once I called out to you and the look you had on your face, it was a look of “help me”, “save me”, “I want to live”, ever since then, the people we kept saving had the same looks but more desperate than the last, you know what this means?”, I asked Jane and saw she was zoned out. “Jane?”, I called out.

“Huh? Oh yeah, what does it mean?”, she asked. “It means we have to save them”, I answered my own question. “They can save themselves, let’s just go”, she said hoping I would agree.

“If I were that kind of person wouldn’t I have left you alone?”, I asked with a raised eyebrow. “I guess not…”, Jane started thinking and made her decision, “OK fine, I’ll go. Only this time cause you seem desperate”, she said.

“Thank you, Jane. You won’t regret it”, I said and got up to get ready for the hunt.