Chapter 1- Competition

The sun shone through the window, directly onto my face, which was... awesome. The heat stirred me into consciousness, and my eyes fluttered open just as my alarm blared for the third time in the last 10 minutes. I reached my hand out and smacked it, silencing the noise instantly. I groaned, yanked off my blanket, and swung my feet onto the ground.

Shit it is hot as BALLS.

I decided to make a break for the bathroom to try and cool myself down. It didn't really work. I was breaking out into a sweat as I brushed my teeth. Oh well.

I got back to my room with a minty fresh sneer and pulled my comforter up to make my bed, the now blazing August sun warming the fabric. I gathered up my first outfit for the day, which consisted of athletic shorts and a cropped tank top, and threw it on my bed while I changed out of my oversized t-shirt and sleeping shorts.

Once I was dressed and ready, I headed out of my bedroom and into the bustling hallway.

Yeah, you heard me correctly.

People were everywhere, mostly women, and they were all busy trying to get to their first assignment of the day. I waved to a few that I knew as they passed by.

I live in a bunker with about 40 other women in a remote location somewhere in the US. I don't even know where we are; it's part of our strict code here in the mafia world. Yes, I am part of the mafia. It's not as bad as you think. The word mafia just has a really negative connotation.

Anyway... I live in a remote bunker. The hallways are all made out of this really nice, very pristine grey concrete. And the flooring? Beige concrete. The only thing that's actually decent around here are the Boss' and Squad Leader's bedrooms. We get carpet.

Oh, did I mention I was a squad leader? Yeah, I have my own team and everything. I'm actually on my way to the gym to meet them.

As I cruised through the labyrinth that is our bunker, I checked my phone for any new messages. All I saw were a couple from some of the girls in my group.

"Y/n!" one of them called from the back of the room.

"Hey Niki," I replied, jogging over.

There are three girls on my team. Niki is our strategist. She knows everything there is to know about tactical moves in the field, and she can maneuver anyone out of any situation. Puffy is our weapons girl. She's a borderline arsonist, but we love her anyway. She is the best at knowing which weapons to use at the right time and how to use each one of them. Hannah is our entire tech crew. She can hack into anything, bypass any firewall, and she is a coding genius.

Me on the other hand, I'm a fighter. Brute force is my forté. I'm one of those girls that brings a knife to a gun fight and wins anyway. I don't really like to brag, but... I'm that good.

"You're up late this morning," Puffy noticed.

"Oh yeah, I think I slept through my first couple of alarms," I admitted.

"Ready for the training session of the day?" Niki asked.

"Why are you so excited about it?" Hannah muttered.

"Absolutely, let's do it."

We had our "training session," which was basically just a really intense workout, then it was off to the showers to change and get ready for our mission. Wednesdays are our mission assignment days.

I changed into a different pair of athletic shorts and t-shirt before meeting up with the girls in the hallway on the way to mission control.

"Have any idea what we're doing?" Puffy asked.