Chapter 38- Return the Favor (s)

cw: adult content

The next morning felt normal. I woke up bright and early next to Dream, got my coffee, and sat at the kitchen table, looking out the back window. A soft snow was falling, blanketing the ground and our back porch as the sun slowly rose above the horizon.

After a few sips, I got up and opened the basement door, breaking through the silence of the morning.

I descended the stairs, closing the door behind me, and found George sitting in a chair against the wall. He looked like he could barely keep his eyes open.

"Night shift?" I asked him. He nodded, then stood up to stretch. "Get some sleep. I'll watch him."

"You're sure?" George asked.

"Yeah. Go." So George trudged back upstairs, and I took his seat, crossing my legs and taking another sip of my coffee.

Sam was sitting still, arms, legs, and chest bound to the chair with rope. The basement was relatively dark, but I could clearly make out his features.

"Hey there," I said.

"Hi," Sam replied slowly. There were a few thin scratches on his face and arms. I chose to ignore them.

"I'm not going to hurt you," I admitted. "We're just going to talk."

"That's what we always say." I sighed, giving him a minute to stew. He didn't look too troubled, just annoyed. I wondered if someone was coming to rescue him.

"So, you're the Warden, huh?" I finally asked. "You're the big tough guy on campus?"

"So it seems," Sam replied. He looked me up and down, watching as I lifted my mug to my lips. "So you and Dream are shackin' up." I raised an eyebrow. "Just an observation," Sam continued innocently.

We sat in silence for another minute or so, and then I put my coffee mug on the ground.

"Why are you still here, Sam?" I asked. He glanced up at me, then flexed his wrists where they were bound, chuckling.

"I didn't know leaving was an option."

"I meant why hasn't anyone come for you?" I crossed my arms, staring right at him. "You're very clearly in distress."

"Do people frequently get sent out to save your guys' asses?" Sam asked, all confidence.

"I'm just trying to figure out what you're really here for," I replied, completely ignoring him. "If it was to kill us, you would've been finished by now." Sam shifted in his seat ever so slightly, which meant I was on the right track. "So why would BLDS send their best soldier to find a couple of runaways from LMBG?" I genuinely wanted to hear his answer; I only had a faint idea.

Sam sighed before answering. "We were assigned to find you. That much is true."

"Alright, so what were you planning on doing when you got here? We already knew you took out some of our other guys in the county over. It was only a matter of time before something similar happened to us."

"But you're different."

I allowed myself a moment to process.

"How so?"

"You're the top dog too, aren't you?" I raised an eyebrow, thinking.

"Sure, but BLDS isn't lacking strong soldiers."

"That's not exactly true." I thought some more, then chuckled. Of course. It seems so obvious now.

"You were told to recruit us."