Chapter 5- Not Even Close, Baby

cw: blood

Being tossed into a holding cell didn't help the headache pulsing in between my ears. To be fair, neither did an open gunshot wound. The local cops made the mistake of putting Dream and I in the same cell though, so that was one less thing to worry about. They had taken every one of Dream's weapons off of him, and they almost confiscated all of mine. Thankfully they don't pat down a woman's boobs, so my butterfly knife was safe for now.

"We'll be back," the cop said, leaving the room entirely. Dumbass. Dream's hand returned to my shoulder and pressed down hard. I would never admit how I sort of appreciated the gesture.

"If you pass out on me, it's not my fault," Dream said once the doors had closed behind the cop.

"I'm not that stupid."

"It's hard to tell sometimes."

"What happened to you being nice to me?" I asked.

"Oh, come on now. You knew it was me the whole time, didn't you?"

"Of course I did." After counting to 17, I reached into my hair and pulled out two bobby pins.

"I'm slightly regretting the choice of leaving my mask in the van with George," Dream said as we walked over to the door. I snapped one of the bobby pins in half, using the straight end and holding the bumpy one in my teeth.

"You look better without it," I said, dropping to my knees and reaching through the bars.

"You think?" I rolled my eyes. "So you're admitting that I'm attractive?" I could practically feel the ego oozing out of this man's pores.

"You're the descendant of a long line of successful lawyers. It was implied." That earned a chuckle. I decided to focus on picking the lock on the cell rather than Dream's hand on my shoulder. The cell was unlocked in a matter of seconds.

"Sounded like a personal best to me," Dream said, standing up with me.

"Not even close."

"What is your pb then?" he pestered as I led us out of the cell and to another window.

"Why do you care?"

"Just curious."

"It's 5.83 seconds." Why not entertain the man? Dream whistled.

"Not bad."

"Shut up." Dream reached up and unlocked the window this time, making sure not to get any of my blood on the sill. His right hand was covered in it. I tried not to feel bad.

"Let's just get back to your hotel," he said, hoisting me up to the window so I could crawl through. This one definitely wasn't big enough for him, though.

"Try not to get caught, sasquatch," I said peeking my head back through the window. Dream grinned.

"Wouldn't dream of it." I rolled my eyes and reached into my bra. "Woah there."

"Don't get cocky," I said, handing him my butterfly knife.

"Aw, you're too kind."

"Don't lose it. That's my favorite," I lied. Dream winked.

"I'll see you soon." And with that, I stood up and headed east. Dream walked right through the doors of the cell block.

I waited in the forest preserve that surrounded the station, glancing at the doors every so often while holding pressure on my shoulder. It was now throbbing with each heartbeat, but I ignored it. It only took about 3 minutes before I saw Dream's figure walk out. He made eye contact with me immediately and jogged out to greet me.